1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,398 Posts
They've made two-tones, blue over nickel.
There have been a variety of sights, fixed and adjustable.
There seems to be no standard regarding the thumb safety, as I've seen examples with ambis from Ed Brown, Wilson, Cylinder & Slide, Mueschke, and Novaks.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They've made two-tones, blue over nickel.
There have been a variety of sights, fixed and adjustable.
There seems to be no standard regarding the thumb safety, as I've seen examples with ambis from Ed Brown, Wilson, Cylinder & Slide, Mueschke, and Novaks.
Thanks for the info. Do you know any overall production numbers for SCG’s by year? Wondering if it was a large quantity or not?

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,398 Posts
No idea, but I'd be surprised if it is/was even a couple thousand a year.

· Registered
951 Posts
When in production they made about 50 a month. The models produced varied month to month.

All SCGs came with a target and were stamped either in the trigger guard or under the grips with the smith number who built it. Generally the smith who fired the target also built the gun but not always.

They typically came in the blue custom shop box with white box liner. Though a few runs came in pelican cases.

Production began in 1991 according to serial number lookup. Most noticeable changes are going from nickel to Hard chrome in 2012/13 at same time switched from wood grips to G10. In 2016, switched from Hard chrome to ionbond and added checkering.

At some point late in production they switched from S/A magwell to someone else.

1) Blued 45 competition 01990CM SCGNXXXX original serial number
2) 2 tone 45 competition- 3 variations A) Blued/nickel B) Blued/Hard chrome C) Blued/ionbond 01980CM SCGAXXXX
3) 2 tone 38 super competition -3 variations A) Blued/nickel B) Blued/Hard chrome C) Blued/ionbond 02580CM 38SCGXXXX
4) Hard Chrome 45 also ionbond version 01970CM. SCGAXXXX
5) Carry model 45 01970CY SCGNXXXX
6) Hard Chrome 38 super also ionbond version. 02570CM 38SCGXXXX
7) Blued 38 O2580CMZ 38SCGXXXX

The 02580CMZ are exceptionally rare and I am not aware of any produced after 2012.

After 2016 all serial numbers I believe became SCGAXXXX

That is in order from most common to rarest by my count.

There were also several Custom Shop runs. 3 Pelican cased runs. All Blued carry models. 1 set of 100 had front strap checkering. The other 2 runs didn't. There is also the lvl 3 which is like a SCG on a 70 series. They made 100 of these with front strap checkering and a black oxide finish. These were all built on 72b serial number series 70s so they don't have scg rollmarks. Also do not come with a target or custom shop smith stamp.

2016 to end of production front strap checkering was standard. Though it could be added as an extra if you ordered through custom shop prior to that. Have not encountered a carry model produced after 2016. To my knowledge the Carry model, 2 tones, and hard chrome were all introduced in early 2000s. Original production was just Blued 45.

Serial numbers vary. Until 2016 or so each model had distinct and separate serial numbers. I believe in 2016 they were all merged into the SCGAXXXX numbers.

Production wise. I have carry model was made in 2009, 2007, and 2014. There is 66 guns between 07 and my 09 and 102 between my 09 and my 2014. So based off of serial numbers, which aren't quite exact, in 7.5 years they built 168 SCG carry models based off the test target dates. I knew they didn't make a ton of them but that surprised me.

For comparisons sake. I had 2 tone SCGs that were about 200 apart that were built about a year and a half apart.

SCGs were 1 gun 1 smith. Gunsmith fit barrel. Extremely well fit and blended magwell. True rollmarks. Drop in barrel bushing. Gunsmith tuned trigger. All steel parts.

Air gun Trigger Yellow Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Yellow Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry
Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Wood Knife
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Revolver
Book Publication Font Shelving Bookcase
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Gun accessory
Trigger Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory Rectangle
Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood Gun barrel

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Mine is one of the Pelican case runs, SCGA5xxx, target with it is dated June 2016. Box says O1970CY Blued. Came with the black/grey patterned G10s but wearing something different now for edc rotation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.