1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a S70 (1973) in about 90% condition, all original I think? Anyone care to give me a high-low estimate.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Unless you really want an old one, you can buy a new Series-70 for much cheaper.

·
Administrator
73,046 Posts
The picture looks like it was taken from ten feet away, which makes the gun look really nice from afar but I have to wonder how clean it actually looks when viewed up close. That idiot scratch can probably be seen from outer space.

An original S70 in mint condition is probably worth about $1000, with a $100 premium for the box and papers. If the above pistol shows any amount of use then you shouldn't pay any more than what a new S70 would cost, if not less.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Without the geographic sales market you live in or the location of the seller it is not realistic to expect info to be real accurate. I am a recent retiree who traveled for a living. Prices vary greatly from heavely populated area (read money and stores with used guns) to small cities with one outlet and a couple flea markets a year. Supply and demand always wins. New guns are easy, used guns are all about location and availability. Personally I would not hesitate to give more for a true, older "SERIES '70" if it were in nice condition than a new repop., but that's just me showing my age. So the more folks that pass on the super finds, just leave them for me. You can always buy new guns, the old ones do not give you a second chance. Short answer, under a grand, buy.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
A 90% pistol should exhibit a good amount of high-edge wear. I cannot discern the true wear on your pistol from looking at the picture (your picture actually looks like a 95% pistol). But for a 90% 1973 Series 70 I would venture to guess that $850 to $900 is a fair price. BTW, if it matters to you, the grips on the pistol look like they're checkered. They should be the sandblasted walnut type, which I think do not add to the grip of the pistol much. Colt started using the checkered grips a few years later.

·
Registered
23,179 Posts
Down here I see them in gun stores in the $800-900 range in that or better condition. The grips were a common upgrade people would put on them back then as Colt was using them on period Gold Cups. In the other thread the fellow posted the great price on a 1991 at Impact guns. Look at the Series 70 prices that site lists and think how much you want to pay for one of the old ones with the Collet bushing.

http://www.impactguns.com/impsearch.aspx?q=Colt Series 70

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I would not over-pay for an old one. All the major pistol smiths seem to be of the opinion that the new, NRM Series 70 guns are far better in terms of how they are made.

The old Series 70 guns were very spotty in terms of QC. Here's a dirty and quick thing I was taught by one of the best shops:
- If the serial number has the letter "G", it is good:
- if the serial number has the letter "B", it is bad.

Again, since you can now buy a better Series 70, no sense in over paying for an old one; in particular, one that is not 100% unfired in the box.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
And you can get the new ones in stainless steel, which I prefer.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Looks to be an idiot scratch to me so its a candidate to be a base gun for a build.

$725 in my mind, as others have stated I would buy a new 70 series.

Without box and a idiot scratch there is not much going for it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Agee with AZ Husker. I have five S/S NRM Series 70 guns built for me by Novak's. The sixth NRM 70 started as a blued gun; after Novak's work, the slide stayed blue, the rest of the gun was hard chromed by Tripps (going for that retro IPSC look).
Then again, I actually use and carry my guns. Never a big fan a really worn blue.

·
Registered
23,519 Posts
I agree with this post.

I would not over-pay for an old one. All the major pistol smiths seem to be of the opinion that the new, NRM Series 70 guns are far better in terms of how they are made.

The old Series 70 guns were very spotty in terms of QC. Here's a dirty and quick thing I was taught by one of the best shops:
- If the serial number has the letter "G", it is good:
- if the serial number has the letter "B", it is bad.

Again, since you can now buy a better Series 70, no sense in over paying for an old one; in particular, one that is not 100% unfired in the box.
The quality of the new guns is exceptional. And they can be found for very good prices.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I just picked up a new 1991 .45 for $799.99 (before tax). Lowest price I've seen in my area. Ever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts