1911Forum banner

Colt Series 80 blued, Pics inclued. Value?

1623 11
I have a frind that is selling a Colt Series 80. The spec that I know of are as follows.

blued, fixed sights,trigger job, magwell and two clips.

The pictures are here.

http://vforce.home.insightbb.com

Anything you could tell me about this gun would be great. I usually buy Springfields, but I think it is time to step up to a real Colt. :cool:

He is asking $750 is it worth it?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
252 Posts
The pistol appears to be in good shape over all. I think he`s about $250.00 too high. That`s just my opinion. There a lot of places out there to get a series 80 1991 or a series 70 repro for that same price new in box. If he won`t negotiate, check Guns America among others on line. You can definitely due better, in my opinion. Good Luck!

· Registered
54 Posts
I agree, price is too high. I paid $750 for a new Series 70 re-issue. Look on GunBroker and you'll find better deals (and some that are worse). Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 650 for any used Series 80 (std version).

· Registered
272 Posts
FWIW: saw one at Charlotte gun show last week just like that one; no idiot mark, extra nice, matching box, for $900. Course what they were asking and what anyone pays is two diff things. Seems that gun show "asking" prices have gone nuts like much of those on auction sites/guns amer.

I have one just like it, in mint cond, that I've taken to gun shows to sell and have not had any luck asking $675. This is not meant to be an offer to sell here as i won't mess with the shipping hassle, and the extra costs it adds to a gun.

· Super Moderator
13,633 Posts
Is your friend a used car salesman? Like others said, too high.
That magwell is removeable, anyone can buy one and stick it on. Trigger job cost an average of $50 give or take, it doesn't have a whole lot to contribute to the resale value.

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,396 Posts
Notice that the gun is a Combat Government Model, and not a standard GM? That's a pretty rare bird, and even though it's in only average condition, it is probably worth a bit more than a mill-run S80.
Back when the Government Model had little G.I. sights, and little else in the way of "combat" stuff on it (interesting that the only 1911s actually in combat didn't have any "combat" parts on them . . .), Colt put higher-visibility sights and front-strap serrations on the gun (then covered the latter with wrap-around rubber grips, which were all the rage for "combat" shooting, at the time), a long trigger, flat mainspring housing, and stamped it Combat Government Model.
$750 might be a bit much, though.

· Registered
3,088 Posts
I might be in the minority, but I would jump at that pistol for $750 because it has the serrated front strap, a feature I really like. The serrated front strap is at least a $150 adder for a smith to do (machine work and refinish), and the sights on the gun are decent. Since I would pay $600 for a plain 1991, I would pay $750 for the Combat Government. It also looked old enough to not have the cast thumb safety lock and grip safety, also worth a premium to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.