1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks,
I saved up a few bucks when I was younger and bought a used Colt Goverment Series 80 Stainless 45. It looks like somebody has taken some steel wool or some sort of abrasive to dull the stainless finish on this gun. I would like to shine it back up if possible. Does anybody have any suggestions for doing this? Thanks!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Are you looking for the bright shiney "pimp" look? If so, that's easy. I bought a Taurus Raging Bull last fall, and I wanted the gun they show on the web site review. Nice, bright shiney pimp looking hand cannon. Taurus says "Sorry, that one was a prototype, bright stainless is not available." So I bought the dull stainless, an 8" buffing wheel and two different stainless polishes and bolted the wheel to my bench grinder after removing the side covers for the grinding wheels. I now have that shiney "Pimp" gun I was wanting. But buffing is an art. Not careful, and you can sling that piece across the room. Never buff into an edge, keep the wheel clean, and wear eye protection. Also works great sharpening knives!
If your wanting a nice dull brushed stainless look, you might try a brass wire brush wheel on a bench grinder and buff it in one direction only. If that does'nt work, try 320 grit paper on a sanding block.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i use 600 grit on the older Stainless GM's,
and a tip: don't change directions while your paper is in contact with metal... what i mean is, make straight horizontal strokes the full length of the area you're working on (start the stroke before you touch the metal, and continue it till you are off the metal again,) or it'll look crappy.

Edited by moderator to tone down the last word.

[This message has been edited by Havoc (edited 08-16-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts