1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to 1911 jargon and am trying to get educated. Going to Colt's webpage I found the model named above. Is this the model referred to as the "Gov." model? It would seem to have many desirable features and I imagine folks would be talking about it, but I haven't seen posts using the full name as listed on the Colt site.

In any event, is this Colt held in high esteem? Would it make a good first 1911 model for someone wanting to do everything except carry concealed?

Thanks for your thoughts.

------------------
- John Maldaner
Hickory, KY

·
Registered
118 Posts
I recently ordered one. I concluded after much scanning of the Forum that a Colt is the one for me. If there are shortcomings in the fit or accuracy I'll be prepared to send it off to Wilson's for "perfection". I want the cache' of the Colt, but realize there may be additional work to do on it. I called Colt several times and they assurred me if it's on order I'll get it (eventually). And my dealer's distributor told me he already had one on order for another buyer. It's probably not the one to buy if you're looking for a deal, but I didn't want to start from scratch to get a semi-custom 1911.

------------------
Character is how we act when no one is watching.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What is the price? This also looks like what I'm looking for... nickel frame. Match BBL etc. Are these shipping yet?
http://www.colt.com/colt/html/a2c2_speccomgovt.html

Model
O1970CM
Name
Special Combat Govt. - Competition
Material
Carbon Steel
Finish
Electro Nickel Receiver Blue Stainless Slide
Action
Single
Caliber
.45 ACP
Capacity
8 Rounds
Barrel Length
5"
Hammer
Combat Skeletonized
Trigger
Skeletonized
Front Sight
Heine Dovetail
Rear Sight
Bomar Adjustable
Sight Radius 
6 3/4"
Grips
Checkered Rubber
Composite Stocks
Weight
39 oz.
Overall Length
8 1/2"
Safety
Firing Pin Safety
Grip Safety
Manual Safety
Disconnect Safety
Special Features
Upswept Grip Safety
Extended Ambidextrous Manual Safety
Steel Checkered Mainspring Housing w/Flared Magazine Well

·
Registered
188 Posts
John -

Welcome to the forum. There's a lot of good knowledge here - it's a good place to start shooting.

The gun you're considering is a great first investment.

I have Colts from WWI, WWII, Series 70, 80, Gold Cup (x2) and XSE (plus a few HK's). Today's Colt quality is undoubtedly the best of the lot.

Find a good local smith for a trigger job and you won't have to send your Colt to Wilson. I took my XSE to my very knowledgable gunsmith for a reliability job, and he said it didn't need it. Top shelf quality out of the box.

If you're in the Cincinnati area, contact me and I can give you a reference for a top-rate 1911 gunsmith.

Time to make the family Sunday breakfast.

Rock on . . .

------------------
The Humongously Adventuresome * E the B *

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by E the B:
John -

Welcome to the forum. There's a lot of good knowledge here - it's a good place to start shooting.

The gun you're considering is a great first investment.

Thanks for the encouragement! My experience with 1911's is limited to shooting a friend's SA pistol which he has generously loaned to me. This gun is pretty basic and fun to shoot. I am really getting interested in owning a 1911 of my own. Researching options and want to buy something of quality that I can be proud of, but not with lots of add-ons or refinements as I need to gain lots more experience before I will know what (if anything) I would like to change from a stock gun. The folks in this forum have substantiated my preconceived notions that Colts fit that definition! Now, which model? And where to find them? None of the shops near where I live stock Colts. I recently joined a gun club, along with the friend that loaned me the SA, so maybe I'll get a chance to try out other folks' Colts there. In the meantime, I am still trying to get educated. BTW, my friend also has a Gold Cup which he dearly treasures. He has also led me to believe in the value of Colts.

------------------
- John Maldaner
Hickory, KY

·
Registered
633 Posts
Unfortunately I'm confused (and tend to stay that way these days).

I've been looking and looking for a Special Combat and have now been told that they can be ordered (previously I was told that they couldn't be ???).

Anyway, the picture on the Colt website looks like the gun is all nickel/stainless/silver in color yet I believe that Colt is only making a two tone model. The description says the gun is hard chromed but the "finish" in the specs state electro nickel receiver and blue stainless slide.

So, if I understand correctly, the ONLY Special Combat I can get NIB is a two tone; the receiver is carbon steel/nickel and the slide is stainless but with a blue finish???

I AM going to order one and have so far received a price of $1219 and $1250. Anyone know the "wait" time? I just can't stand WAITING for this gun!!!!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Believe me it is frustrating(the wait). Good thing you have the order in. Hopefully they are tied with a large distributor. Because the Special Combat runs are slow and small. And you can easily get an additional $200 to $300 out of one if you can get one. The most elusive of the Colt family 1911s. The Special Combat Governments are. And they are currently for the last 2 yrs. two tone. And if you sent one to Wilson for work, you got money baby and why not show it off.:cool:

·
Registered
418 Posts

The Special Combat is a Government Model Pistol that is customized in Colt's Custom Shop. There is usually just one gunsmith who does the work on a run of these guns, Richard Stoddard. They are very nice pistols and have all the bells and whistles you need, come with excellent fit and finish and the triggers are very nice. Mine were 4lb from the shop.
I bought mine last April, consecutive serial numbers, for $1350 each. Unfortunately I had to sell one (needed down payment for a van). These are great pistol with great features at a very good price and make a hell of a shooter, collector and first time Colt!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Those are real beauties. My friend bought a Special Combat Government Carry Model in early 97. It is Royal Blue with night sights an ambi safety and a Smith and Alexander beavertail. It is a beautiful piece. I imagine that these guns will always have substantial collector value. These two tone versions are nice, I didn't know they were making them this way now.

Chuck

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had found two online, one with Mambosa Trading Company and I forget the other, then once I got them I was in a shop in Columbus IN and she had two consecutive serial number models. She used to work for Colt, anyway I talked her into trading my two for her two and $50.
I spoke with the custom shop a couple of times after I got these, it seems that back in March and April they did a run of guns, not sure of the total number but they did say less than 200.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Group:

I'm really enjoying this thread. I've never paid much attention to the Special Combat because I've never really been into the .45 ACP.

I'm becoming a fan of this caliber and the pictures posted above show a gun that looks about perfect for IPSC Limited 10 and IDPA- and best of all its a Colt.

So I understand this correctly- this is considered a regular production Colt, just one with a pretty long wait correct? I could order one from any Colt dealer?

Gunsmiths have gotten out of my price range in the last few years but I still want all the things this gun offers- especially the melted BoMar, grips safety and magwell. I'm more excited than I should be considering I haven't figured out how to pay for one yet!

Brent

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well after talking to a rep at Colts, I emailed my dealer with an order for a Special Combat Government (price quoted was $1219).

The Colts rep indicated they make a run of them when they get a certain number of orders from the distributors. They made a run earlier this year. He couldn't give me a timeframe but said the distributor can call occasionally to see "where they are" on the number of orders required for the run.

I have a while to decide just what I am going to sell in order to pay for this gun. I really should sell my Kimber Gold Match SE II (in .45 cal) but it has been absolutely flawless and the production of them ended in December so I more than likely couldn't buy a new one later when "sellers remorse" hits me!!!!!

Once I get my Colt I guess I'll just see which guns tend to sit in my safe month after month.

If and when I get the Special Combat I'll certainly post a range report.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Its funny I think much of Kimber. I was at the range about a month ago. And a man had his Kimber Gold something. He had a non fitted 6" ported barrel. I looked at the gun and complimented its beauty. I then squeezed my S70 as fast or slow as I saw fit to no failure in 150+ rounds, most in a 3 or 4" group at 15 to 25 yrds. He shot 2 or three then lockup. I steered him to an excellent smith. As I don't care what you got. If its a 1911 your on the same team.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sorry to be so dumb, but what's an S70?

Thanks.

·
Registered
418 Posts
S70, or 70 series refers to the model of the Colt

I believe it goes like this

then the
1911a1

then you have your pre war Colts
and commericial colt which were all the 1911a1 configuration
at the same time they came out with the National Match
hand fitted, hand honed action bullseye guns.

Then you have what is refered to as pre 70 series guns
which were made up until 1970. Colt changes the bushing style these were in production until the 1980's and they changed to a series 80 gun with an internal firing pin block to make the gun less likely to discharge if dropped.
Many people did not like the series 80 because the trigger pull was heavier due to the design of the firing pin block.
I'm sure someone can you more detail on the differences between 1911,1911a1 and pre70's than I can.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have limited knowledge of the history line for Colt products but I have read lots of posts about the 70 Series Colts. I'll try to remember that S70 refers to 70 Series. Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Its ok QB I only started refering to the series 70 as an S70 here. I don't know where it started. Also to look for is S80 as an 80 series. 1911 as anything possible in any caliber in possibly the familiar configuration. 1911A1 to mean specifically the 1924 to 1945 guns. As this is one of the big collectors on this site. And 45 auto as any in the specific .45 ACP caliber. Have you noticed that even some ammo manufactures take the credit away and call it .45 Auto. When it has always been .45 automatic Colt pistol. Pretty sad in my thinking.;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts