1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an original 1984ish box insert ? Is the insert one that would either accommodate a 1911 or a revolver ? I looked at a 1984ish LW commander today that had the box and it had an insert a revolver would fit into , since it didn't have the corrent 1984 manual I am being cautious , but the box was correct right down to the label.

thanks

·
Administrator
72,979 Posts
IIRC the Styrofoam insert was shaped to fit either an automatic pistol or a revolver.

·
Registered
23,173 Posts
That is interesting. Earlier this year I bought a 1985 Officers model. It had a box with an insert like that. I figured somebody rummaged around their attic or basement and found a foam insert that fit and it was for a revolver.

The pistol with the box:

And just the box:

There is also the orange warning on the side of the box to read the manual and not to leave a loaded round in the chamber. Sort of interesting. I was around during this time period and buying guns but I had an extreme dislike of the Series 80 mechanical firing pin safety. In fact in 84 I bought a Detonics as a backup to the 78 Colt Gov which was my main carry. Still have the Detonics and want to shoot it and the 85 Officers side by side on the same day with the same ammo.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the picture , that is the same insert in the one I looked at , same orange warning label on the outside of the box , sadly the original manual was not there it had one that was copyrighted 1996, also had an orange hang tag in the box and the correct serial number factory printed tag on the flap.

I'm torn on buying it now, it's a LWT MKIV Commander with a lot of finish wear on the frame ... surprisingly no idiot scratch but worn around the slide stop hole ... the slide still looks good with only a few minor blemishes, the barrel looks great inside and it appears the gun was not shot very much by the little finish worn off the outside, but the frame needs a refinish.

I just made a deal on a 1943 GI Colt and I am not sure if I can buy both , the shop wants $875 for the LWT commander and won't budge on the price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts