1911Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
As noted above the pistol is a put together conversion - some smiths modified a 38 super magazine, others used the Colt 38 mid-range mag. I have a couple of the NM Colt 38 midrange pistols, and they are quite accurate. I will point out that the ammunition is VERY specific- regular old 30 special will not work- it is a special wadcutter seated to the case mouth to fit the magazine, and loaded to 770 FPS velocity. I have a Dillon SDB loader set up just for this ammo. the Smith model 52 series fires the same ammunition.
It does look like from your photos that the frame is not Colt , the slide a 38 super moodified to use the 38 SP barrel. these were quite the custom pistol in their day.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If the O.P. is looking for another magazine to compliment the magazine he already has, Clark Custom Guns sell a Colt reproduction "split lip" magazine that works well. Finding an original Colt .38 Mid Range magazine that isn't priced in the stratosphere is difficult at best.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing what the top of the receiver looks like with the slide and barrel removed.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I will point out that the ammunition is VERY specific- regular old 30 special will not work- it is a special wadcutter seated to the case mouth to fit the magazine, and loaded to 770 FPS velocity. I have a Dillon SDB loader set up just for this ammo. the Smith model 52 series fires the same ammunition.
It does look like from your photos that the frame is not Colt , the slide a 38 super moodified to use the 38 SP barrel. these were quite the custom pistol in their day.
How specific is it? I've run off the shelf Fiocchi(sp?) .38 special wadcutter and ran it in a Clark model 61 I owned.

Yes the frame is military surplus Remington Rand.

·
Registered
189 Posts
How specific is it? I've run off the shelf Fiocchi(sp?) .38 special wadcutter and ran it in a Clark model 61 I owned.

Yes the frame is military surplus Remington Rand.

COL is the biggest issue - I find if not seated just inside the case with a little roll crimp, the rounds hand on the magazine. The Smith is a little more forgiving than the Colt. The Clark gun may be different - does it use the colt 38 or the modified 38 super mags ?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
COL is the biggest issue - I find if not seated just inside the case with a little roll crimp, the rounds hand on the magazine. The Smith is a little more forgiving than the Colt. The Clark gun may be different - does it use the colt 38 or the modified 38 super mags ?
The Clark gun was based on a Mark IV series 80 chambered in super .38, it had a Clark modified mag., The mag started life as a Colt marked 10mm mag that had the Delta triangle mark so I'm assuming it was a factory Delta Elite mag. I'll have to check the photos I have of it, I no longer own it, I can't remember if it had more than the one mag when I bought it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts