1911Forum banner

Colt "The Woodsman" ... finally!

6K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  passx 
#1 · (Edited)
In college, ca.1978, a classmate, Dan Olson, and I had some similar interests. We became friends. Such friends that he was Best Man at my wedding. We lost touch when he moved to the West coast. But during those few years, ~'78 - ~'84, he took me shooting; for the first time shooting a handgun: a Colt "Woodsman".

When I started really getting interested in handguns, late '90s, I looked for a "Woodsman" ... but they were priced much higher than many .22s. But now I've found one:

Wood Air gun Gun barrel Rectangle Trigger
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

The photos do not quite do it justice. One frustration likely is to find magazines. We'll see.

See less See more
#4 ·
Very nice. Yours is a first series Woodsman and was built between 1934 & 1947. It will be between serial numbers 90000 & 187423 and is OK with both standard and high velocity cartridges. They are beautifully made pistols and very accurate.

The first handgun I ever shot some 73 years ago was a first series Woodsman that my father bought new in 1929. I was not quite 6 years old. It must be shot only with standard velocity cartridges. It's still in the family. Note the difference in the barrels.

Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Gun barrel

#6 ·
Mercy, yes, I'd like to. Believe me, I've tried to find him from time to time since the internet got going. Including his name here is just in case he might see it.

Reactions: bmcgilvray
#8 ·
A Woodsman was the first handgun I ever shot, too. My Grandfather's pistol, like the one tgt_usa has.

I now have a "Bullseye" Series 1 Match Target that I bought myself as my Grandad's guns were all lost in a burglary (except a Parker 28 Ga and a Remington Pump .22 that were loaned out at the time)

I actually like the guns pictued here better than the Match Target because of their sleeker, slimmer look. Awesome guns, Guys!

#10 ·
About 18yrs ago I found a "Huntsman", Colt's entry-level offering to .22 automatic market. That tided me over until this one. Very similar pistols: the "Huntsman" has fixed sights, not much other difference except price.

Reactions: DarkLord
#11 ·
Actually, I have a first series pre-Woodsman known as the Colt Target Pistol, a first series Woodsman that uses only standard velocity cartridges, a first series Woodsman "Sport" model made in 1942 with a 4 1/2 inch barrel, a second series Match Target and a third series Match Target. All have adjustable sights except for the Sport that is windage adjustable only and apparently made for a 6 o'clock hold as it shoots above POA. The OP's Woodsman has adjustable sights with windage in the rear sight and elevation in the front sight. My per-Woodsman is seen below.

Photograph Air gun Line Everyday carry Gun barrel

#15 ·
There was at least one on an firearm sales web-site ... it wasn't GB; that's all I recall. The "Huntsman" there looked newer and nicer than mine; "buy now" was $495. Hopefully it was not a fossil page.

[ ed.
Ah found it in browser history :

]

#13 ·
The Woodsman has always been my favorite 22 and it was the first gun I bought when I was old enough, early 70's for 99 bucks at G.I. Joes. Since then I've picked up a few more of them along with a Huntsman and some Hi Standards. But the oldest one I have is like 50's target with the 1911 style mag release.
Good find for you.

#16 ·
Nice one, glad you got one into your hands, they're very nice shooters. I've had mine for a while now, it's a second generation model that was only made for the last part of '48 to mid '49 & I do prefer the mag release by the trigger over the heel release. Actually found a vintage palm swell extension that matches the grips perfectly for only $8. A guy could could really go down the rabbit hole collecting Woodsman variations.

#17 ·
Like a complete fool, I let my 6" second generation Woodsman Sport go in a moment of haste for a S&W M41 back in 1983. The mag release by the trigger on the Second Models was a great feature compared to the Euro bottom release. Two years later I really lamented doing that and started to look for a 4" Match Target. Something else always seemed to sap my 'gun fund', and I went for over 30 years whining to myself about not having one. I was lusting for a 4" Match Target model.

Then finally when I had some cash, this puppy showed up at a local gunshow. Almost 99% pristine, came with TEN magazines too at the 'right price'.

Many of us have long-time love affairs with pistols of this generation, Hi Standard being another. Seems the young fellows out there now have zero appreciation for these pistols, favoring the latest poly-framed wonder model. Pity, as these guns are some of the most accurate rimfire pistols ever made, and they were very made well too. Polished steel, beautifully blued, appreciated now only by those of us in "Geezerhood" it appears.

tg_usa: Congrats on your First Model, she's a real sweetie!

#19 · (Edited)
Like a complete fool, I let my 6" second generation Woodsman Sport go in a moment of haste for a S&W M41 back in 1983. The mag release by the trigger on the Second Models was a great feature compared to the Euro bottom release. Two years later I really lamented doing that and started to look for a 4" Match Target. Something else always seemed to sap my 'gun fund', and I went for over 30 years whining to myself about not having one. I was lusting for a 4" Match Target model.

Then finally when I had some cash, this puppy showed up at a local gunshow. Almost 99% pristine, came with TEN magazines too at the 'right price'.
Many of us have long-time love affairs with pistols of this generation, Hi Standard being another. Seems the young fellows out there now have zero appreciation for these pistols, favoring the latest poly-framed wonder model. Pity, as these guns are some of the most accurate rimfire pistols ever made, and they were very made well too. Polished steel, beautifully blued, appreciated now only by those of us in "Geezerhood" it appears.
Beautiful.

You couldn't have gone too far wrong in getting a m41. For >12yrs, a m41 is my most shot firearm. But my Colt's "Huntsman" is what I've taken on vacation road trips, it's so compact and very enjoyable to shoot.

#18 ·
For a fighting pistol, I much prefer a thumb-release for the magazine. For a [ nearly ] dedicated target pistol, a heel-release is okay by me. One of my current favorites is a Ruger MkI with a similar mag release.

#26 ·
My second and third series Match Target Woodsman pistols. The grips on the second series are replacements from Grips4U as the original plastic grips were badly warped.
Those are gorgeous.

#22 ·
Thanks, tgt, she's a firm keeper now too.

The M41 is also almost virginal, but I'm loathe to take her out in the outback where I spend much of my time. So truth be known, my old Ruger MK-I 5" HB gets carried the most, leaving the Colt and Smith at home all safe 'n sound in the safe.

There's just "something" about these older fine rimfires....

My 'workhorse' pistol, it just keeps on going no matter what, and has accounted for literally thousands of noxious ground squirrels here in the alfalfa. Not as pretty, but sure does get the job done.

I found this one in our local pawn shop, missing some small parts in the bolt. Paid $75 for the pistol, then another $18 in parts to get her running like a top. I also figured out how to do a simple mod on the Ruger MK-II and III mags to give ten shots vs. 9 in the original MK-I magazines as visible in the pistol. I have no regrets on this one.

#28 ·
Thanks, tgt, she's a firm keeper now too.

The M41 is also almost virginal, but I'm loathe to take her out in the outback where I spend much of my time. So truth be known, my old Ruger MK-I 5" HB gets carried the most, leaving the Colt and Smith at home all safe 'n sound in the safe.

There's just "something" about these older fine rimfires....
My 'workhorse' pistol, it just keeps on going no matter what, and has accounted for literally thousands of noxious ground squirrels here in the alfalfa. Not as pretty, but sure does get the job done.
I found this one in our local pawn shop, missing some small parts in the bolt. Paid $75 for the pistol, then another $18 in parts to get her running like a top. I also figured out how to do a simple mod on the Ruger MK-II and III mags to give ten shots vs. 9 in the original MK-I magazines as visible in the pistol. I have no regrets on this one.
A MkII was my first target pistol; before that handguns were home defense. That MkII was 90% of my handgun shooting until I was talked into a MkI. Then it was 90%, until the m41 ...

Reactions: Rick in Oregon
#23 ·
FYI-3K has Woodsman magazines, for pre & post war models:

#27 ·
FYI-3K has Woodsman magazines, for pre & post war models:
Awesome! Thank you.

#29 ·
Here is how to tell if your first series pre-Woodsman or Woodsman is safe with high velocity ammo. The oval checkered main spring housings are not heat treated and safe only with standard velocity. The main spring housing with parallel lines is safe with high velocity cartridges. Once Colt began producing the heat treated MSH, they offered them to those with earlier guns to upgrade to HV ammo.

Helmet Sports gear Personal protective equipment Drink Bottle

#30 ·
Bought my Woodsman Sport (4'' ?) in 1963 for the amount of $75 plus tax. Most accurate pistol I have owned. My friends all shot revolvers and made me stand at the far right end of the firing line so I wouldn't deafen them. The only shortcoming of this pistol was difficulty in seating the main spring housing. Over the years I have spent a lot of time making that thing seat. I have this pistol and a couple of thousand rounds in my SHTF bag.

#31 ·
My "Huntsman" is very satisfying to shoot ... or at least it is when I can see the PoA with only my eye-glasses.

Looking forward to giving the "Woodsman" a try; possibly tomorrow.

#33 ·
I was in the service in '71/'72 and if memory serves me correctly, a couple of tunnel rats I met carried Colt Woodsman .22's. I really can't remember, but I think they used the .22's so they wouldn't go deaf in the tunnels. I've wanted one ever since. (I think they were Colt Woodsman pistols)

#35 ·
I’m in the process of maybe buying a 1937 Colt Woodsman, maybe, if things go right and the creek don’t rise ! So is there anything I should be aware of or look out for ?

It appears to be in very, very nice condition. I started off just looking at what I thought was just an old pistol that’s a bit different from my 22/45, thought it might be fun !

So do you actually shoot these or just ogle them ? I had no idea that these were anything special until I stumbled upon this older thread ! We’ll see, hopefully get this completed in the next week. Maybe !

#41 ·
I’m in the process of maybe buying a 1937 Colt Woodsman, maybe, if things go right and the creek don’t rise ! So do you actually shoot these or just ogle them ?
By 1937 the Woodsman was rated for hi-velocity cartridges. The earlier Woodsman had a main spring housing that wasn't hardened and should only be shot with standard velocity cartridges. In 1933, Colt began hardening the MSH for use with the higher velocity ammunition so yours is good to go. If you have any doubt, look at the picture in post 29 above.

SHOOT IT!! The first thing that's likely to be noticeable is how accurate the Woodsman is. They are a joy to shoot. I know. The first pistol I ever shot was a 1929 Woodsman and I now own several from the pre-Woodsman to a series three Match Target Woodsman.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.