1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a colt 1991A1 and although I like the stock thumbsafty design it seems to have a little slop in it, particularly when thumbing it off it seems to have a little downward play then comes back up to where is should be. It's ever so slight but noticeable. I plan on having some work done on it but was wondering if this little issue can be corrected and fitted properly using the stock part.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
My USGI 1911 AND my Colt LWT Commander (70's era), both do exactly what you describe. My Kimber does not do it at all. I think it is an issue of proper fitting, but both my Colt and my Remington Rand pass the complete safety checks, and both have not given me any problems due to it.

That being said, after experiencing how good one CAN be, I really like the way my Kimber's thumb safety is so much more positive.

Hope this helps,
Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
The detent notch in the thumb safety can be drilled a little deeper with a special drill bit available @ Brownells. This always fixed that issue with my safety installs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
This is a fairly common problem. As stated earlier, the safety detent needs to be redrilled. As long as the safety isn't interfering with the slide travel, I don't see a big problem. I too have one of those funny long drill bits from Brownells. Mine is a bit too long, and is going back to them tomorrow. If you get one, watch the length of the safety bit!!. ==Bob

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Mustang, The slop you mention, is due to the safeties inner portion not bearing up against the rear frame wall at it's off position, and the safety plunger being able to move out of the detent to the other side. Kings brand safteties are well know for this, and in fact, in the opposite, Ed Brown safeties often need to be relieved in this area in order for them to thumb downward enough to clear the slide. Frequently on extended safeties, the lever will stop against the top of the grip panel and prevent this from being felt. About the only way to correct this is to put a tiny bit of weld in this spot on the safeties inner shoulder and dress it down to where it stops just where needed, though just replacing the safety with a different brand is probably a better idea.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Donw is correct, that is the reason and his cure works too. We were just trying to give you a less expensive and time consuming chioce. As long as your present safety prevents the pistol from firing, drilling the detent deeper is a safe and cheaper work around to make the lever stay put.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The condition originally described is fairly common, and I have seen it on many 1911 type guns, including Colts and GI guns.

Maybe I am not enough of a nitpicker, but as long as the safety goes on and off in a positive manner, passes all the tests, can be removed only at the midpoint, and does not interfere with the slide, I am not sure I see a problem worth worrying about.

Jim

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll just take Don's advice and swap it out when the time comes for some custom work. :) Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts