1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. Had a customer ask me for an opinion of a Colt Ultralite hunting rifle, in either 30-06 or 7Mag. Unfortunately, as a pistol guy, I don't have much knowledge about these. Anyone have any first-hand experience? TIA.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
No first hand experience. IIRC, Colt bought out Melvin Forbes of Ultra Light Arms (a very good company) and started making them. I believe there was a recall of some sort on the Colt version. Melvin bought the rights back and is making them under the company name 'New ultra light Arms'. They are supposed to be excellent. If you resolve the recall issue, I would go for it!

·
Registered
953 Posts
For what it is worth CDNN was carrying these rifles for a while. CDNN is a great company, but they usely deal in overstock, closeout or police trade in firearms. There is nothing wrong with any of the above but I wouldn't expect any factory support for many of the guns like the Steyr, the Mateba, the Ultralites and the such. Companies dump unsuccessful lines so they don't have to deal with them any more.

If someone is selling the Ultralites again then they may honor the warranty, but check before you recomend them to a customer that might want to do business with you again.

·
Banned
183 Posts
Colt Light Rifle

Have one sitting here in 7mm mag---not exactly lightweight---reasonably good shooter---could possibly be a tack driver---but I haven't experimented that much with it------bought it for a cheap back-up rifle-----the trigger is light but mushy.

And hey--it has Colt stamped on it---lol.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Colt had purchased SACO (military parts maker) and made the rifles, had some initial recall, then released them again. They sold SACO and discontinued the gun soon after.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There was an article in the American Rifleman about Melvin Forbes of Ultra Light Arms not too long ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts