1911Forum banner

Colt vs. Brand K

1K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Bluetooth 
#1 ·
I've owned 2 1911's so far & have sold them both because the were just not quite right. This time around, I'd like to make sure I get the right one. Well, I've narrowed my choices to the XSE & a Kimber Eclipse. I really like the XSE (being basically everything I'm looking for & has the Colt name on it to boot) but I've been told the Eclipse is a much better gun :rolleyes:
Which is better & why?

#2 ·
The Kimber will probably look and feel better, but the Colt is made of superior materials (only a couple of MIM parts).

#5 ·
I have both...get the Colt.
The Kimber has all the bells an whistles but I think the Colt is a better made product that will last the long haul. My Colt's just feel better when I'm shooting them. Solid, durable, dependable, and with no fads or frills attached.

#6 ·
I'll go against the stream on this one and say get the Kimber. I don't care for the delicate finish on the Eclipse, but if you want those goodies, the Kimber was made to have them. I'd recommend the Colt for a basic, solid pistol, but the XSE's accessories seem "added-on", while the Kimber feels like they're natural.

#7 ·
I've got an XSE, the only problem with it is how sharp the edges and serrations were. It is accurate and reliable. I do not like the external extractor on the Kimber.

#8 ·
I think a lot of people have since learned that the purdy finish on the Eclipse is very delicate, as it scratches or wears off easily. That might explain why I don't see many Eclipse models at the dealers like I used to. I'm also not too partial to Kimber's spontaneously-disassembling adjustable sights or the Series II FPS. While I don't like the plain sights and ugly paddle-style grip safety of the XSE, at least those can be changed easily.

#9 ·
I say get the Colt. I'm back down to one Kimber that I'll keep, but multiple Gunsmiths in this area have told me Kimber's metallurgy is far below Colt's. One told me the metal on a Kimber feels softer to cut than a WWII issue Colt gun. Another told me when he checkers the front of a Kimber (the steel ones!!) it's like cutting aluminum.

I do like my Kimber, love it actually, but it's a series one, has the correct 1911 extractor, and I've replaced most of the MIM and plastic parts with Wilson Combat steel. I've changed the hammer, sear, trigger, grip safety, MSH, and extractor. I also put night sights on, and had the front strap checkered. If I bought the XSE Colt, I'd put night sights on, replace the grip safety and MSH, and checker the front. I wouldn't need to replace the extractor, hammer, or trigger, because they're all fine.

Both guns have front and rear cocking serrations, and I find the Colt's to be more appealing. Kimber's are just too widely spaced. Plus the Colt has that little Horsey, and Ajax double diamond grips with Colt Medallions are superb. You can't really put those on a Kimber, now could you?

#14 ·
They are both good guns. Which you like is a personal preference. Since you seem to want the Colt but are worried that the Kimber is better, let the fine folks in the Colt forum allay your fears. Buy the Colt, the little voice in your head won't be happy if you buy the Kimber. Six month from now the voice may speak up and tell you it really wants a Kimber, and at that point you might as well get one of them too.

#16 ·
If you wanted to go with the Kimber, than I'd go with a TLE over the Eclipse because it has all the features of the Eclipse without the delicate finish.

However, I'd go with the Colt XSE. I added a Wilson Drop-In Beavertail and Extended Thumb Safety (single side) as well as a S&A MSH and Colt GI Guide Rod. With those mods the gun is great. I don't mind the stock sights on the XSE and the gun shoots POA. I liked my XSE so much, I bought a second one to have a custom gun built on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.