1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I thought I would ask anyone that owns one of the three Colt/Walther 1911 .22lr pistols (Rail - Government - Gold Cup) to 'chime' in.

I have a Gold Cup with a few 'mods'; put wood grips on, polished the bullet feed ramp, took paint off of the slide & frame rails, and put a ZR Tactical recoil spring in. About the only thing it does not like is some lead nose ammo. I have five magazines; three of them were 10 rounds, but I took the little plug out and now all five are 12 round magazines (legal here in Missouri).

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the government style and really like it. The only change is to the ZR recoil spring and I think I replaced the sear spring with a C&S light pull sear spring. Cycles all .22lr I use from basic slow to hp.

Hey, tell me more about the "sear spring". What does it do, where to get it, easy to replace?

Thanks,
patrick

·
Registered
156 Posts
I own the plain 'Government Model' like Bamashooter's. I really like it...and did the same with the factory supplied 10-shot mag(pulled the spacer out for 12 shots).

The only mods I had to do was file-off the front sight about a 1/16" to get it on target(watch-out! the front sight is quite soft alloy and a few strokes of a file will remove a lot metal).

A couple features I like are the slide-stop notch being reinforced with a steel pin...and the tiny nylon bumber insert in the slide stop lever to prevent battering...

Mine shoots very decent..likely not match-grade accuracy. However the more I shot mine the better it got accuracy-wise it seemed. As far as reliability goes..I would say it's one of the most reliable .22LR pistols I ever owned. You can shoot really dirty/smutty .22 ammo and make it stop...however quality plated .22 just runs and runs in the 'Colt'

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've got one of the Gold Cup models and had some issues with it in the beginning. I had to have it almost dripping wet in order for it to run properly. As I've shot it, it continued to improve without all the extra lube. Now it seems to run fine and is reasonably accurate when compared to my Rugers. I really enjoy shooting it now that it's running like it should.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bamashooter, Thanks-that explains EVERYTHING I always wanted/needed to know about the sear spring. Is the "Midway USA" spring the right part number for our Colt/Walther 1911 .22lr pistol?
Thanks again for your time,
patrick

·
Premium Member
7,719 Posts
I have the Rail Gun version to march my 45 Rail Gun. I put some fancy carved fake Ivory grips on it and have run a couple hundred plated 22 rounds through it without issue. I have been hesitant to shoot is because of the scarcity of ammo and it is t getting better. Love the gun so far.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Is the quality in these better than the GSG/sig? Are the majority of the parts interchangeable with standard 1911 parts like the GSG/sig? These are made by umarex air gun company, correct?
Who makes it? Who knows? Who cares (not me)? I communicated with Walther and they told me point blank they manufacture it though other folks say not. I give a rat. Yes, many part are interchangeable with "real" 1911s.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder who has done any modifications on their Colt??
I have done a few (mostly to be able to use lesser quality ammo - now I can use about anything, standard or hi-velocity, lead-copper-hollow point, and has 40 grain).
1. polished bullet in feed
2. polished slide rails
3. put in ZR Tactical recoil spring
4. put in Midway USA sear spring
5. wood grips
This pistol is a blast to shoot; and because I do not live in the city I can play with it almost every day.
patrick

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
My Rail version is still stock, but not for much longer. I do not get it out much and wanted to get a few hundred rounds through it before fiddling with it. I will be doing the polishing of internals and spring changes mentioned here soon.

I am tempted to refinish it to get rid of the Colt billboards on the sides, but probably will not sink that money into it

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have done a few (mostly to be able to use lesser quality ammo - now I can use about anything, standard or hi-velocity, lead-copper-hollow point, and has 40 grain).
1. polished bullet in feed
2. polished slide rails
3. put in ZR Tactical recoil spring
4. put in Midway USA sear spring
5. wood grips
This pistol is a blast to shoot; and because I do not live in the city I can play with it almost every day.
patrick
Thanks for a very informative post, Fords Folly. I too have a Colt /Walther that I'm about to give up on since it refuses to function reliably with standard velocity ammo. I haven't seen HV .22 in almost 2 years in my part of the country but I do have a few bricks of Aguila SV that I can't shoot.

Your post has given me hope that I may be able to use the Aguila. I've ordered the ZRTS spring but have a question on polishing the rails. What did you use, and how did you work in into the narrow slots?
I've used Flitz to polish the ramps on other 1911's so the ramp is no problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the rail model in FDE or peasoup green color. Mine has fed and functions very well even with Remington ammo. It even feeds hollow points. These guns run a lot more reliably if you use high velocity ammo. I taught my wife and nephew how to shoot with this gun and they both like it. I have other pistols but this is the one they always want to use. The only problem I have is that it shoots low and to the left a few inches. Mine is completely stock and I don't see any reason to change anything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for a very informative post, Fords Folly. I too have a Colt /Walther that I'm about to give up on since it refuses to function reliably with standard velocity ammo. I haven't seen HV .22 in almost 2 years in my part of the country but I do have a few bricks of Aguila SV that I can't shoot.

Your post has given me hope that I may be able to use the Aguila. I've ordered the ZRTS spring but have a question on polishing the rails. What did you use, and how did you work in into the narrow slots?
I've used Flitz to polish the ramps on other 1911's so the ramp is no problem.
Woody3 - I hope you can get your Colt 1911 22LR to shoot other than HV ammo; what I did with the rails was: I used a small sheet of 1000 grit sandpaper, folded it over and just worked it around/under/on top of the rails. All I really wanted to do was take the paint off.........not any of the medal. Then I used my Dremel and a small (about the size of a quarter) polishing wheel (not the little 'solid' polishing thing - about the size of a pencil eraser) and polished the rails. It was a pain but worth it. I use "Frog Lub" for this gun (did the whole nine yards) and make sure that the rails are 'wet' with the 'Frog Lub" oil (it comes in the little tub) when I shoot it. Now I am able to shoot any ammo (Hollow Point - Lead Nose - Copper Nose - that has at least 40 grain. I also have a lot of 'Aguila' and 'Eley' Lead Nose ammo and now I can use it, and not my CCI ammo only.
PS: Do not know where you live, (I am in SE Missouri) but our Academy Store has had a lot of CCI and Winchester 100 pack and Aguila 50 pack, Copper Round Nose 40 grain ammo lately (they limit you to 500 rounds per day).
patrick

1 - 20 of 44 Posts