1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Merry Christmas first!, I'm contemplating purchasing a Colt WW1 Re-Issue, can anyone tell me if the heft, and feel are close to an original?, having held the real thing, not sure if will be happy, the price is right, $850 NIB, but I'm concerned about sacrificing dollars and using cost savings, and might not be happy, your thoughts?

Thanks!
Mike
CW5
US Army

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
Heft and balance are the same to me. Little sights may be slightly better. The fit and finish are better on the new ones I have looked at. The differences are there but if you find a NIB original made around 1917 for around $1K, I would buy it.

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dakota1911 said:
Heft and balance are the same to me. Little sights may be slightly better. The fit and finish are better on the new ones I have looked at. The differences are there but if you find a NIB original made around 1917 for around $1K, I would buy it.
Thank You!

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts
The new replicas feel and handle just like an original. They tend to be fitted more tightly than the old WW1-era guns, but since few of these will ever see the bottom of a muddy trench that shouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dsk said:
The new replicas feel and handle just like an original. They tend to be fitted more tightly than the old WW1-era guns, but since few of these will ever see the bottom of a muddy trench that shouldn't be a big deal.
Thank You!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rondawg said:
Better buy it while you can!!! If you regret the purchase later on and decide to unload it, it'll sell quickly.
Roger Sir, I'm on the way to doing that, Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
395 Posts
The only thing I can't stand about the reissues are the bug-eyed rollmarks, which definitely look different than the originals.

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts
I agree. The problem is that Colt doesn't bother to sand the markings down flat after the rollmark dies have made their impression. It's something that really irks me about all of the new Colts. It looks like hell, especially on the Series 70 guns with their high-polish flats.

·
Registered
235 Posts
dsk said:
I agree. The problem is that Colt doesn't bother to sand the markings down flat after the rollmark dies have made their impression. It's something that really irks me about all of the new Colts. It looks like hell, especially on the Series 70 guns with their high-polish flats.
Also, I'm surprised at how many people say things like "Raised rollmarks? I don't see those on any of my new Colts".

Go look at a Colt from the 60's and then look at a new Colt and tell me what you see.

·
Registered
757 Posts
dsk said:
Oh you are so right! It's an attitude of just a "bit less" than what we made 45 years ago. I can not stand it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WW1 Quality Issue

While I know opinions vary, for about $1200+ here locally I can get a original, but I figured that the re-issue will work just fine, and I plan to shoot it, so maybe one day it will look beat up and have some emotional value, geez, I must have too much time on my hands, I'm just going to buy the damn thing, if the bad guys fall down at the other end that's all that matters, well, looking good putting doom on the goomers is good too!

Mike
Apache Helicopter Driver
US Army
31 Years and still going

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised at how tight and well made my reissue is, and even more blown away by how it shoots. Can't say how it compares to original, but feels right in my hands. I'd buy it again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bobinwa said:
I was pleasantly surprised at how tight and well made my reissue is, and even more blown away by how it shoots. Can't say how it compares to original, but feels right in my hands. I'd buy it again.
More good news, many thanks!, having never held one the comments have really helped my decision...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts