1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
72,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine finally showed up at the dealer today. I won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow as it hadn't been checked in yet. But it looks Shweeeeeeeeeeeet. :)

BTW the dealer (Wade's Guns, Bellevue WA) has another one for stock that they just got in from another distributor. I looked it over and it's near-perfect. The grips are lighter than mine, though.

It may be a few days before I can get picks of mine up, however. I'm in the middle of a long work schedule.

·
Registered
71 Posts
!

Thanks for all the Free info DSK. Shoot a few blazers during the test run. Many of us do not reload and at $6.99 per 50, Blazers are a good practice option.
Are you going to shoot any hot loads ? Can this pistol handle them?

·
Administrator
72,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course it can, but why would you want to? :eek:

Honestly, this is a gun for collecting, not shooting. Once the carbonia blue has worn off the front strap and it's picked up scratches and dings it'll be just another battered .45 auto. Years from now these babies will be worth a pretty penny in NIB condition. No I'm not an experienced investor, but trust me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
DSK-

Great news on you finally having your WWI close to hand. I'm looking forward to your pictures.

I had not originally purchased my WWI as a collectors piece although I agree with your earlier comment that the sights don't lend it to every day shooting. Giving that they are replicas, what do you think will drive the collectability? While the finish is great to look at, what makes it so fragile?

Regards,

WG

·
Administrator
72,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Collectibility-

Colt has done an outstanding job on these. By comparison their previous attempts at a WW1-styled replica were laughable (mid-60's WW1 commemoratives, 1981 JMB commemorative). I suspect the desirability of those will drop substantially. I am already seeing many of those for sale online.

Re: Carbonia blue-

These early furnace-blued finishes were always very fragile compared to modern hot salts bluing. Trust me, if you have sweaty hands or simply handle/shoot the pistol a lot it won't take long before you start to notice finish wear. It's just the nature ofthe beast, unfortunately.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the informative reply DSK. I always appreciate your knowledge and effort you put into the forum.

WG

·
Registered
535 Posts
But when that Carbonia gets a little wear, the Colt will get "the look". Some of you know what I mean.....:cool:

·
Administrator
72,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got 'er home today. Unfortunately I won't be able to take any pics this weekend as I work straight through. :(

My example is very close to being flawless. The bluing on the slide and frame is a perfect match and the grips look awesome. More details to follow after I've had a chance to take it apart (carefully!) and give it a good lookover.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Glad you got one dsk, I picked mine up last weekend and at first the grips were dark but after a couple of days they lightened up. The finish is perfect, no difference between the slide and frame. Yesterday I put 50rds through it with no problems. I love it!:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
dsk twenty years from now i'll be 76 if i make it .i think i'll shoot the pi** out of mine now and enjoy the oppertunity of be able two.cause once they plant you what you going to say i wish i'd have.then your relatives can fight over it or maybe the goverment might just come and take it before you get to shoot it.collectors gun nah shoot it and enjoy the fall afternoon that you did ,make memorys don't shove them in a box.time is short. just my opionon

·
Administrator
72,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess my opinion is colored by the fact that I have enough other 1911s to shoot already. When I get a hankerin' to shoot a WW1 Colt I already have a Black Army with most of its finish gone.

To each his own. Have fun and enjoy it! BTW I was just thinking this morning, for those with the money this might be a good pistol to have Colt's Custom Shop do some engraving on it. :)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
WHY I DIDN'T BUY THE WW I 1911 REPLICA.
A week ago I was called by an arms store in TX that my 1911 WW I replica was in. I got the voice mail on a friday and had the weekend to think about it. The cost was $879 plus S&H. I have several 1911s to include four made in 1918; two very nice ones that I shoot, one with a mint bore and about a 95-97% finish (that I haven't shot yet), and one restored by Bill Adair that I just test fired about 15-20 rounds.
At the Colt Coll Assoc meeting in Tampa I saw a WW I replica and it looks just like the one Adair restored except Adair's stocks are a little darker than Colt's.
During the weekend I decided that (1) I really didn't need to spend about a thousand bucks on another NEW Colt, and (2) I have a problem just keeping guns and not shooting them (unless I have more than one of the exact same thing) so if I bought it I would want to shoot it. Therein lies most of the problem, the sights of the gun: front and rear---small, small, small. My eyes just do not acquire those small sights as they do on the mid-1943 square notch 1911A1 sights (or as quickly as they did 40 years ago when I was a professional shooter).
Now I haven't totally discarded the idea of ownership, and since I would be shooting it I may wait until I find a like new used one for sale and most likely would buy that.
It is a beautiful gun but my Adair gun looks just like it and the Adair gun is made of all correct parts (except the barrel which is a marked and blued mint HS barrel...the original barrel I still have and it has a perfect bore).
Those of you who have purchased the replica, you have a beautiful gun and I hope you really enjoy it be it in a case or on the range. Bob

·
Administrator
72,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hear ya, Bob. In fact I considered sending in a ratty 1918 gun to either Adair or Ron's Gun Shop to be refinished instead of buying one of the new replicas. However, there's a feeling in my bones that this is the gun folks will still be talking about ten years from now. I think it's cool if for no other reason than the nostalgic trip back in time to the beginning. Let's just think about it for a moment: today, in the year 2003 you can either have an ultra-modern uber-tactical STI 2011 or a SIG GSR, or you can buy a new Colt Model of 1911 almost exactly like the ones they were making back before World War One! :eek:

Weird, huh?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Bill Adair

I have Bill doing work on a 1914 commercial for me, just curious how you liked his work. So far he has been curtious and professional but I haven't got the goods back yet. Needless to saw I am cautiosly optimistic ( I usually am a firm realist ).

Sound like you were happy with yours, info appreciated.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Yes I was very happy. The work was done about a year ago. I had this 1911 made in 1918. It had all the correct parts but not all were original to the gun. While shooting the gun (using regular hand loaded ball ammo ...milder as opposed to hot) I noticed a series of minute cracks just forward of the slide stop hole on the right side. I didn't know what to do and Dana had mentioned how Bill Adair was a less expensive alternative to Turnbull. I called Bill and he said he would look at it. I shipped the gun to him and he said he could have the gun welded but he wasn't sure how the welded area would take the bluing. He lives in Carrrollton, TX so on my way to the Colt Coll Assoc show in Austin last year I stopped by to visit. He showed me the cracks under a powerful magnifying glass. we discussed the best and worse that could happen regarding the outcome and I said do it.
He used a small drill to rout out the entire cracked area. Then he sent it out to a welder and it was welded (stronger than the original metal). Bill smoothed the welded area, then polished and buffed all the metal parts, engraved all the markings and blued them, just like Colt did in 1918. He got the walnut stocks from Herretts and hand finished them. It is not possible to see where the weld was as the bluing is not discolored over the weld. Total cost to me was $305 and the gun looks just like it came out of the Colt factory. I compared his restoration to a like new 1918 Colt and they look identical except you can tell the stocks aren't of 1918 vintage (just like Colt's stocks on the WW I replica). The gun cost me just a little over $500 so I have less than $900 in a new looking gun with the correct 1918 parts (except for the barrel as mentioned).
Turn around time was three weeks. I would guess that his work load is much greater now as I know I have referred many gun owners to him and I would guess his fees may have also gone up.I found him to be very nice and extremelly knowledgable about guns and his craft.
When I drove from the airport to his house imagine my surprise when, instead of driving into an industrial park area, I drove into a gated community. His shop is in his garage and a couple of other rooms with the bluing operations (there are several to replicate various antique bluing types) in his back yard.
Simply put, he did an outstanding job on my damaged gun and the cost to me was very satisfactory. Bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
M1991A1

Where did you get yours and what distributor did it come through? I've been trying since August and no luck. I doubt any store in central Ohio has had one.
Of course if anyone can prove me wrong please let me know which shop around Columbus has one, please.

·
Administrator
72,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn, Seattle weather sux!

I've been at it trying to take some decent pictures of my WW1 replica all day today. Inside it's as black as night, and light bulbs only create useless glare. Try to stick my nose outside and it's nearly as dark, and lot more wet. I'll get some pics up as soon as that bright light in the sky comes back (and I have a day off).

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
dana, I just read your review, good write up. Did you notice that the magazines that come with it have no writing on the bottom of them like the originals. Nice little extra touch I thought.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts