1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after 1000 rounds, I have decided that my hand does not like the Caspian dorsal type grip safety that came standard on my XS GM.

One: the point at the bottom of the safety pushes too much into the meat in the web of my hand. This makes me think that I do not need a safety with a bump or "memory pad" but could also just be the fact that the GS kinda forms a point due to the dorsal.

Two: I feel that I shoot better with my thumb on the safety. With this safety the web of my hand gets stretched tightly against the underside of the portion of the beavertail that the hammer sits in. After 40 or so shots, it starts to get tender. A higher grip should relieve this problem.

So...I am looking for a new grip safety. I will consider getting it installed by a smith, but I would like some input on two scenarios:

1> A grip safety that will solve my problems that I can fit myself.

or

2> A grip safety that will solve my problems that will get fit by a smith.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Try tightly wrapping your support hand thumb. Around your firing hand web, unless you already do. Then I would say you need more rest or gloves.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Flashbang, would you happen to be able to post those pics again? The old post no longer has them viewable.

Redzone, do you mean that I should pull down on the web of my grip hand with the thumb of my support hand to decrease the friction between the grip hand web and the beavertail.

I definitely don't want to use gloves. 1) My hands aren't tender 2) It would change my grip feel if I ever had to use my weapon anywhere other than the range.

Thanks, keep the suggestions coming.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The "speedbump" grip safety is the .350 cut (AFAIK) so a wilson grip safety should fit with minimal work. The caspian's are olkay, but since they're not cut for the series 80 parts, will be a little more fitting involved.
(Also, note, since Caspian doesn't actually make them with a series 80 cut, I assume they copied the Colt one, as opposed to Colt buying from them. Colt got them from somewhere else, but I don't know where.)

·
Registered
121 Posts
The original pics were lost, but I took a quick pic for now. Hope it helps. Any more pics needed I will give you when I get a chance.

Sorry about the quality, I was pressed for time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts