1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain what the difference is in why the XSE model carries 8 rounds and the 1991 commander only 7. I do believe there are mags that will fit that carry 8 also, but why is it set up this way. What is it that I'm missing?

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I don't think you are missing anything.

Why is it this way? In a phrase: "product differentiation."

Colt for a long time has offered both 7rd. and 8rd. in "flush fit" length. The 8rd. uses the "Devel" follower. Putting them standard in the XSE line is just one way to "upgrade" that line from the base/1991 line. There's nothing different with the gun, just the magazine.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Both are reliable and accurate pistols. The 1991 is a base pistol while the XSE is upgraded to what use to be options (ambidextrous thumb safety, Novak type rear sight, dovetailed front sight, dimpled barrel, front slide serrations) now standard features on the XSE.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Don't worry about the Colt mags, which are good, but not the top choice. Buy Wilson or McCormick 8 rounders and be happy with both! (Wilson only on alloy framed pistols - the McCormick "sharp pointed" follower can ding the feed ramp on alloy guns.) CC

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I've already learned about the follower dinging up an alloy framed gun. The factory Kimber mag did this to my Pro Carry. I replaced it with a Kimber Protac mag and a Mecgar. They both have the dropped down follower and I have not had any problems to date.

Although someone mentioned for me to stay away from Mecgar, but I can't seem to find any info as to why? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Although someone mentioned for me to stay away from Mecgar, but I can't seem to find any info as to why?
Mec Gar makes good magazines of quality steel and parts, and their dimensions are well-controlled from my experience (a few MecGar magazines over time but not lots of them). If they work fine in your gun, nothing wrong with them.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
the XSE is upgraded to what use to be options (ambidextrous thumb safety, Novak type rear sight, dovetailed front sight, dimpled barrel, front slide serrations) now standard features on the XSE.

Thougth I had one but I have none of those features other than a ring spur hammer and a cheezy cutout on the grip safety,is this the newbie XS (pre XSE) or a plainjane abortion?Shoots great but she's fixin to be resighted,BT'd and that friggin SS slide really needs an a black coating like Ion or.....

·
Registered
23,221 Posts
Magazines are trivial in the difference between these guns. Either gun will take 7 or 8 rounders. You can go to the Colt web site: www.coltsmfg.com to see the differences.

Of course the XSE is more expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts