1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brothers and sisters, I am forming a support group for people who can't resist the urge to purchase "yet another" 1911.

Membership is free, (lord knows we've spent enough money already), meeting announcements will be forthcoming....

That said, I got a 1976 MKIV Series 70 Gold Cup National Match, very sharp, I'd say 95-98% or more. $650. Range tonight! I realy like the highly polished and blued slide, slide-release, safety etc.. set off against the less polished frame. Grips look like Cocobolo, with a nice medallion, if anyone has more info than is in the blue book, it'd be appreciated!

Question: It appears the previous owner put in a Wilson bushing, maybe due to the fingers failing on the series 70 colt design bushing? Was this common?

Question 2: It has a two piece guide rod. Really hard to dissassemble compared to my other colt. Who makes the best drop in replacement? It does have a "different" end guide rod than others I've seen. (Matches the wierd link.....)

The rest is stock, Chip McCormick mag.

Woooo!

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
OK, say after me. my name is (insert name). i am a 1911 aholic......and in this case proud of it.:p i can change if i want to.......wait........no i can't.:biglaugh:

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Congrats, harmonii, sounds like a sweet one.

Yes, from what I've read on this forum the 70s era collet-type bushings could have a finger break. That might be what happened with yours, but also someone could have just replaced it because they could.

:)

Pics?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
As requested... pic

·
Registered
367 Posts
That different guide rod is a Dawson Group Gripper....I think... You caan replace it with a standard guide rod, but you will also have to change the link... Congrats on your purchase...:rock: Does your serial # start with 70N, or end with N70? I am trying to figure out about when mine was made...:scratch:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Serial starts with '70N' I checked in my Blue Book and they mention that in some years they put NM70 or N70 but just go by the number following that as they are all sequential in time, if you want to post the first 3 numbers I can give you the ranges from my Blue Book (Fjestads). -H

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
Ed Brown sells replacement factory-standard recoil plugs and guide rods. Don't forget to replace the barrel link as well.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ericthenorse said:
70N898XX.... I have been trying to get someone to give me some info for a while.. What book is it you have? From what I have ccome up with, they switched the 70N prefix to a N70 suffix in 1976, is that right?:rock:

http://ericthenorse.50megs.com/photo.html
, My Blue Book, Fjestads, which everyone uses, has your gun, like mine, made in 1976, no question(88901-99999). The mid 1976 switch was made from 70xXXXXX to XXXXXx70 aso you are correct. They also started the serial numbers over at 01001! -H

·
Registered
367 Posts
WOO-HOOO... now I actually know when it was made.... I will have to get a copy of that book....:rock:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not the best use of $40 I would say. I wanted to sell a couple old guns, a JC Higgins 22 and a JCPenney 16ga, so I got the book, turns out they were worth so little it sure didn't pay for the book. Serialiisation is online, there's a link off the 1911 site: http://www.m1911.org/full_dates.htm And I learned more from there than from Fjestads book. Colt's section is a mere 10 pages out of 1936 total pages.

Perhaps someone can recommend a better book on the 1911, I did buy the Shooting Illustrated guide to 1911 handguns, also a bit of a bust, maybe 5 pages were worthwhile. maybe we should start a new thread and ask?

Back to our guns, I personally do not know if they are worth anything, I paid $650 for mine a week ago, I've wanted one for a long time to go with my Grandfathers 1918 Colt and my excellent Dan Wesson's. It's appears very well made, the bluing is excellent, I'll have to replace the above picture with a better one.... hmmmm, maybe I can do that now.... back in 10!

Woo, posted new pic above....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts