1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know where this came up, but I've seen several post lately stating that Colts are cast... WRONG. Colt frames, slides and barrels are forged and always have been. Rant Off.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I thought that was the case. I heard someone say they were crappy cast and finished parts in the 90's, then repeated it.

Shame on me.

:dope:

·
Banned
5,951 Posts
Colt has always used forged frames and forged slides in their 1911s, A1s, 91s, MK IVs, NRMs. Even their slide stops are forged.

Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
"Induction Forging"

I heard that forging has had recent improvements. "Induction Forging". Sounds like a process where electrical coils heat the metal. Probably better for the microstructure of the steel then exposing the metal to such heat from fire. Since the carbon would be cooked out of the metal from constant exposure and contamination from flames. Sounds like a good meathod of heating metal. Wonder if Colt would use this type of forging? :confused:

·
Registered
3,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thanks, John. In another thread, I believe Mark also stated that the plunger tube was MIM.

WJR

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
WJR, I did a search and found the thread. Mark said it was MIM, but that they were working on it. I'll update the above.

Mark, if we are in error, let us know.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Colts are cast...
And the sky is blue...
Some people are soooooooo stupid.
Everytime I hear one of these yahoos throwing stones at Colt I can't help but think "I'm rubber and you're glue...":p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts