1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've been hearing a lot of moaning about 1911s breaking in certain high round count training. Now , exactly what would break of one? The only possible bits I can see packing it in would be extractors, ejectors and maybe the firing pin.

Any thoughts on this ? I want to make certain that my Colts have no issues in a world of Glock fans.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
You're probably hearing from people whining about the slide breakages and frame cracks in the M45 CQB pistols tested by the Marines. Colt made some slight modifications and an improved recoil system and the Marines appear satisfied with the result.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Where does this crap come from? Most high round count breakage with ANY semi-auto pistol can almost always be attributed directly to little or poor PM.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
I've been hearing a lot of moaning about 1911s breaking in certain high round count training.
Where do you hear this "a lot of moaning"? Must be a large gathering of uninformed persons....like a murder of crows all cackling and calling in the trees!:)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Where do you hear this "a lot of moaning"? Must be a large gathering of uninformed persons....like a murder of crows all cackling and calling in the trees!

Funny stuff!!

If you are going to shoot...shoot...don't talk....

Tuco...

Glock fans??....how gay!!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I broke the barrel bushing on my officers shooting at the range, and on a separate occasion I broke the slide stop on my mustang.....I look it as part of maintaining my pistols, just replace the parts and move on. Colt 1911s still are the best!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I've been hearing a lot of moaning about 1911s breaking in certain high round count training. Now , exactly what would break of one? The only possible bits I can see packing it in would be extractors, ejectors and maybe the firing pin.

Any thoughts on this ? I want to make certain that my Colts have no issues in a world of Glock fans.
This is utter nonsense.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I had 2 slide stops break. Pretty low round count on both. Had a trijicon staked front sight fly off as well. That was not colt.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Classes are usually attended by new to fairly new shooters.

I've attended my fair share of high round count classes and then some.

1911s rarely make it because the shooter is a newbie and shows up with a Sig or Kimber 1911, a mish-mash of cheap ammo and a handful of junk magazines (99% of the time it's on factory Checkmate mag, an ACT mag, several Pro-Mags and one or two 47Ds.)

The other guys show up with a good gun, out of spec reloads, and/or wore out mags.

Everyone else just buys a plastic gun that works, and then there are a few seitched-on 1911 drivers who can get one to make it a couple of days. Not hard at all, but it takes money.

As for parts that break: extractor, plunger tube (gets loose), slide stop lobe, barrel link or lower lugs. It just happens.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The only guns that aren't breaking are those sitting in the safe! Given enough rounds just about anything will break. And Glocks aren't immune, ask your buddies about the slide cracks or rail cracks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
no colt parts breakage, over forty years and i still own more than several. a little pm goes a long way. change recoil springs on schedule and clean and lube as needed, if plunger tube gets loose [it happens] replace the part before it fails. part of maintenance is looking at everything to it's all in order. personal responsibility

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Okay, having read the responses ,most of which have verified my own observations boil down to :
PM,decent ammo,periodic inspection,experience (40+ years enough, ya think? ) ,confidence in your weapon,responsibility for said weapon.

There are more than a few instructors/commentators who disparage the 1911 as archaic, slow, heavy, unreliable , low capacity. .fill in your own blank. I am going to one and possibly two of these different courses after the first of the year with my .38 Supers. One has had 4-5K run through it,springs replaced 6 months ago ,gun is a 1980 Series 70, next up, 2013 Series 80, 500+, nothing replaced, lastly, 1972 Colt Combat Commander, 40 rounds through before I bought it, another 100 since. Outside of mag related problems, all have functioned as designed.

The question i posed ,in a round about way was to see if ANYONE ,outside of certain communities have ever experienced or even seen the "rampant"failure and "unreliability" of the 1911? The courses themselves state there would be at least 750 up to 1200 rounds fired during the course of instruction. I rather doubt my stock Colts will have any issues but this is a mantra being pushed out there .

Does this make my original post any more clear? So far , all the responses have been interesting , mostly helpful. So thanks for that .

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
With 100+ years of service in our nation's military I'd think that the 1911 pistol's flaws are pretty much a matter of record. No they're not indestructible, but when built properly they're plenty durable for service use. There isn't a handgun or rifle out there that can't break when abused enough, including everyone's favorite pet Glock.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts