1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting on the potty reading my latest "American Handgunner" and saw there was a Remington Commander for a MSRP of $1299. I was thinking that is what I paid for my Colt WC Commander about a month ago. I started to think about what the Colts I have bought in the last year cost.

Lets see. About a year ago I bought one of the new GCNM round tops. The gunstore I went to had a case with 1911s that had adjustable sights. The Colt GCNM was the third cheapest in the case. No. 1 was a SA Range Officer. Problem was I just sold my Range Officer I paid $740 for to buy the Colt Gold Cup. Sorry SA fans, the Range Officer was not doing what I hoped at 50 yards. The new SA Range Officer was $820, but still the cheapest. Anyway the second cheapest gun in the case was a Gold Cup Trophy in SS. It was only $1K and the GCNM I bought was $1.1K. Every other Kimber, SA, S&W etc. cost more.

Bought a new 38 Super in Gov. form for a little over $900 a couple months later. Then bought a new Series 70 in SS for about $1.1K. These were cheap guns compared to other new guns in the case.

Sorry Remmington. I will keep my Clapp Commander and keep buying Colts. They are a pretty good value.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think it also depends on location out here (cali) colts come in at a premium.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Colts do not cost that much

You are certainly right about that statement, you can find some good deals even on Gunbroker for used Colt 1911's if you do your homework and buy smart.
Factory new Colts also available but you have to be patient for a good deal which is about the only way some folks can find a colt to purchase when you live where there are no Gun shop.
Colt 1911's are the best buy of any factory 1911 for dependability, re-sale value although we never buy a Colt for re-sale, available at this time. Have owned a few other makes of 1911's but the Colts are the only ones we still own or would buy in future.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I bought a NRM 1991 NIB today at a store that has one once in a while for
$769. I'd have bought 6 of them at that price if they had them.
The problem with colts is not the price so much as the price due to supply and demand.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
How long do you think this is going to last? The prices have already gone up 15% in a year on some of the enhanced models like the GCT and Combat Elite. As you said, just a year ago you could of had a Trophy for 1K. I know because I bought one. I'm pretty sure these low prices won't last too much longer.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Colt recently invested lots of money in new machinery to manufacture their products consistently, and with less hand fitting.

I don't think the prices on Colt firearms will be going up. They are being competitive in a very aggressive market.

Kudos to Colt.

WW

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
The comparatively high prices I'm seeing aren't due to Colt's MSRP being too high, but more the fact that sellers are asking top dollar and getting it due to the supply/demand imbalance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The comparatively high prices I'm seeing aren't due to Colt's MSRP being too high, but more the fact that sellers are asking top dollar and getting it due to the supply/demand imbalance.

This is the reason I believe as well, why prices are high.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
I have to agree with the general theme of this thread. In spite of the regional variables and those dealers that like to enhance their prices, the Colt quality is outstanding today for the price. The Remington carry commander coming in a more than the Wiley Clapp puts things in proper perspective very nicely.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
This is about being a prudent buyer. Look closely at the item you are buying.
Compare it closely to similar items. Colt changes thumb safeties, grip safeties, sights, finishes, from year to year.
Combat Elite is example. A LOT of different issue (and features) to choose from.
Current build Colts are tremendous value. Have to pay attention though, and GET the current issue.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I would say that in addition to supply/demand, there's also a serious Cost/quality issue in making Colt's a good value.

In the last 10 years I've been buying A LOT more Colt's and less of anything else. The quality for what I get for my money is really maximized with a new or used Colt. I've taken apart, tuned, etc. a lot of guns over the years. I find consistent quality without wide variations most consistently from Colt and Springfield, among the major market makers. Colt has the best fit and built small parts.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would say that in addition to supply/demand, there's also a serious Cost/quality issue in making Colt's a good value.

In the last 10 years I've been buying A LOT more Colt's and less of anything else. The quality for what I get for my money is really maximized with a new or used Colt. I've taken apart, tuned, etc. a lot of guns over the years. I find consistent quality without wide variations most consistently from Colt and Springfield, among the major market makers. Colt has the best fit and built small parts.
springfield is no longer american made. they are brazilian brand with an american name.

·
Registered
394 Posts
springfield is no longer american made. they are brazilian brand with an american name.
I believe they were always that way but at some point started having to make it more obvious.

For instance my first 1911 was a Springfield Loaded model that said Geneseo, IL on the frame near the SN. It had that flat black finish on the rounds but after having it some time I saw in the right light that under the dust cover it had been machine stenciled "IMBEL-Brazil".

·
Registered
279 Posts
For me anyway, Colt is THE 1911. Have had over the years Kimbers, SA's, and others but have, in the 5 years come back "home" as it were.

First one I got was a GC Trophy in SS that had the dreaded "duckbill" grip safety. That gun was a drill in it's accuracy and was no slouch in reliability either. I eventually altered that one with non adjustable sights and carried it daily for over 3 years. Didn't do anything about the duckbill either. :) The gun was EXTREMELY well fitted, ran like a clock with the loads I tried, shot WAY better than I can and beyond that...what more do you want?

Today, I don't even really look beyond Colt if it's a production item. I don't feel there is a need to do so. Their guns are reasonably priced imo, the ones I own are also VERY well fitted, and they work well.

And...I DO think about resale value when I purchase and other than "brand name semi-customs" like Wilson, Bauer, etc, hold their value above and beyond other brands. I have never lost one penny on selling a Colt (and have made more than a few :) ) and that too is important to me.

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
Something I just realized, when I wrote an online article on the new Series 70 pistols back in 2002 I mentioned they were selling from a low of $800 to just over $1000 depending on dealer. Here we are 11 years later, and the average price is only about $100 more. I think we are so accustomed to everything going up in price that we automatically assume that Colts cost more than they used to.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have two Series 70s now, The one I bought in 1981 , put a commander hammer and beavertail on it in 81 then left it alone. Just picked up a 1972 Commander and I think I will do nothing with it except shoot it and carry it. That old finish really is a thing of utter beauty, isn't it? Even when it wears , still beautiful.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
I was sitting on the potty reading my latest "American Handgunner" and saw there was a Remington Commander for a MSRP of $1299. I was thinking that is what I paid for my Colt WC Commander about a month ago. I started to think about what the Colts I have bought in the last year cost.

Lets see. About a year ago I bought one of the new GCNM round tops. The gunstore I went to had a case with 1911s that had adjustable sights. The Colt GCNM was the third cheapest in the case. No. 1 was a SA Range Officer. Problem was I just sold my Range Officer I paid $740 for to buy the Colt Gold Cup. Sorry SA fans, the Range Officer was not doing what I hoped at 50 yards. The new SA Range Officer was $820, but still the cheapest. Anyway the second cheapest gun in the case was a Gold Cup Trophy in SS. It was only $1K and the GCNM I bought was $1.1K. Every other Kimber, SA, S&W etc. cost more.

Bought a new 38 Super in Gov. form for a little over $900 a couple months later. Then bought a new Series 70 in SS for about $1.1K. These were cheap guns compared to other new guns in the case.

Sorry Remmington. I will keep my Clapp Commander and keep buying Colts. They are a pretty good value.
That shall prove to be an error in your otherwise impeccable judgement and good taste forever. Think about it, a new GC for 1K. The deal of the century and you passed.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts