1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone saw Colts new Bolt action 308 yet? That Laminated stock looks great..
I was looking through my Rifleman and saw it... They teamed up with Cooper Firearms... Im not crazy about Cooper since the big man there supported Osama., But I do love the Colts . I would love to have one, if it does not have an insane price.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree on the price. I just saw there asking well over 3 grand.
I think he resigned from his position, but is still with the Company . He wasn't fired. From what I read he still collects a check from them! So I would not support there company as long as he did.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Maybe. I was just going from an article I googled.

It would be cool to be able to shoot one and see if they are worth the scratch.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Has anyone saw Colts new Bolt action 308 yet? That Laminated stock looks great..
I was looking through my Rifleman and saw it... They teamed up with Cooper Firearms... Im not crazy about Cooper since the big man there supported Osama., But I do love the Colts . I would love to have one, if it does not have an insane price.
Funny story .....

My boss bought the Colt/Cooper 2012 CLR on line thinking he was getting the aluminum chassis version and when it arrived discovered it was the laminated version. He wanted to send it back, but I grabbed it instead. The gun's serial number is "0001X" so I figured "I know it's overpriced - but what the hell .....":)

It's a nice rifle, and I think I've figured out which IMR 4064 load they use to get the factory groups. The barrel is a bit lighter than I thought, alot lighter than the CLR. The brake works well enough, but I've used others that are better. The trigger is a Timney, it's fine but not as nice as the Cooper standard trigger. I shoot lefty and the stock works very well for me.

The action has a very short throw, about 60 degrees I'd guess. I think the bottom metal is PT & G and takes AI mags. It will "almost" take Ruger GSR magazines (much less expensive) but a bit of cutting on the mag ribs is required.

It's a nice rifle, and they also make it in 260 Remington.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Funny story .....

I grabbed it instead. The gun's serial number is "0001X" so I figured "I know it's overpriced - but what the hell .....":)

Ooh! Nice!

It's a nice rifle, and I think I've figured out which IMR 4064 load they use to get the factory groups.

Let us know. Inquiring minds out here...

It will "almost" take Ruger GSR magazines (much less expensive) but a bit of cutting on the mag ribs is required.

I would do it. Cheaper mags that work are always cool.

It's a nice rifle, and they also make it in 260 Remington.
Nice grab, brother.

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
The Colts I saw a while back that I posted here about were well made and showed sub 3/8" groups. The target from what I know listed all the ammo data, and other stuff.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
Anyone have a picture of one?

You get up above three grand. Then you are in AI AE territory. Which is why I am currently trying to find as many pop bottles and beer cans on the side of the road as I can.

As far as the Cooper guns are concerned. I bought a Varmint Extreme some years ago. That thing was way too finicky about what ammo it would shoot. And this was before I loaded my own. It was very frustrating. Then I bought a Sako Vixen in the same caliber. The Sako would shoot anything that I put into it up to about a sixty two grain bullet. And about as good as the Varmint Extreme.

I got rid of the VE and still have the Sako Vixen.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up; didn't know anything about it. It'll be something new to look at. At three grand or so, I probably won't buy one, though.
Bob

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
You get up above three grand. Then you are in AI AE territory. Which is why I am currently trying to find as many pop bottles and beer cans on the side of the road as I can.

As far as the Cooper guns are concerned. I bought a Varmint Extreme some years ago. That thing was way too finicky about what ammo it would shoot. And this was before I loaded my own. It was very frustrating. Then I bought a Sako Vixen in the same caliber. The Sako would shoot anything that I put into it up to about a sixty two grain bullet. And about as good as the Varmint Extreme.

I got rid of the VE and still have the Sako Vixen.
I'm having a similar experience with a Cooper single shot in 222 Remington and my trusty old Remington 788 in the same caliber. The 788 and it's early 80's vintage 4 to 12X Bushnell kerplunks anything 55 grains and under into a single ragged hole at 100 yds or so. I've used 19.8 of IMR 4198 and 52 BTHP (any brand) for years, it works in anything and does OK in the Cooper, but not great. The Cooper wears a Leupold 36X with a dot (which I hate, but the scope was priced great) and I just haven't found what works best. I have to admit, I enjoy shooting the 788 better than the Cooper too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts