1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1973 vintage Combat Commander. It is in very nice condition with the original blue finish. Does show a little holster wear at the end of the barrel. It has a drop-in beavertail, aftermarket trigger, and Pacmyrs, but I have the original parts less the grips. I bought it used maybe 15 years ago and it has no specific sentimental value to me.

I really like this gun, but would like it with a more durable matte finish (possibly Melonite or similar) and I want sights with greater visibility. My first thought is to simply have this one modified to these ends.

Any reason not to do so on this particular 35 year old gun? The other option would be to buy some other Commander style pistol with the finish and sights I want.

Appreciate any input......

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
A set of original sandblast walnut grips correct to it are both highly attractive and functional, and would set you back $50 if you shop hard (they are a bit rare and often more). That and the parts you have in hand and then you have an original gun worth $750. Cut it up or paint it with a lesser finish and it will cost you several hundred and it will then drop the value a hundred at least.

SOOO... you'd be better off selling it than altering it unless money doesn't matter to you and the gun has more sentimental value.

A wise gun poster (SaxonPig) at THR has a rule (and I paraphrase) - it's always cheaper to sell the gun you have and buy the gun you want than to try to hack and modify the gun you have into the one you want.

And if you want to swap the gun you have for a quality Colt Combat Commander with higher-vis sights and a more durable matte finish, you can pm or email me...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It sounds like a beautiful Colt.

I agree with Kamerer about putting original style walnut grip panels on it.

Otherwise I'd leave it alone if it were mine. Sell it and use the money to buy a pistol you really want.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I had the same situation with a Colt Gov't Series 70 from 1970's. Mine was pretty much stock and in excellent condition, its now a safe queen. I opted to pickup a newer gun off Gunbroker and had it customized to my liking. Very happy with my decision.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I have a 1973 vintage Combat Commander. It is in very nice condition with the original blue finish. Does show a little holster wear at the end of the barrel. It has a drop-in beavertail, aftermarket trigger, and Pacmyrs, but I have the original parts less the grips. I bought it used maybe 15 years ago and it has no specific sentimental value to me.

I really like this gun, but would like it with a more durable matte finish (possibly Melonite or similar) and I want sights with greater visibility. My first thought is to simply have this one modified to these ends.

Any reason not to do so on this particular 35 year old gun? The other option would be to sell this one and but some other Commander style pistol with the finish and sights I want.

Appreciate any input......
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a pretty nice little pistol, there. If I were you, I wouldn't sell it. On the other hand, I also would not hesitate to have it customized, if you're so inclined. I have a minty 1977 Government Model that will soon go under the knife, for subtle refinement. What's valuable to me about a pistol is that it's mine.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
Heck if it was mine and I had no sentimentality towards it, I'd just modify it however I wanted it to be.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Commander

I would keep the gun as is and buy another gun. Your gun has probably appreciated already from when your purchased it 15 years ago. It should continue to appreciate and may have collector value down the road. A good Colt can be a good investment. Selling a good gun when the economy is down may not allow you the optimal selling price.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Don't modify it. Buy what you want or buy something else to modify. The Colt is nicer just like it is.

I know. I got rid of a really nice Colt Commander in .38 Super and it was worth way more in an unmodified condition.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Get the Original Grips for it, and leave as is. If you get it Modified sooner or later you are going to see you should have left as it was. Let us know what you decide..........

Clyde

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Good deal for the gun companies, isn't it?
Kind of like stamp collecting, get them to put up the pretty ones unused so they have to buy more to actually send the mail.

Phooey, fix it up to suit yourself so you can get some use out of it.
Assuming none of the Safe Queen Society comes along with a serious cash offer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good deal for the gun companies, isn't it?
Kind of like stamp collecting, get them to put up the pretty ones unused so they have to buy more to actually send the mail.

Phooey, fix it up to suit yourself so you can get some use out of it.
Assuming none of the Safe Queen Society comes along with a serious cash offer.

I agree its a Combat Commander, not a Commander, make it how you want it. Otherwise your grandkids, or a favorite nephew will get it when you're gone, sell it to a pawn shop and you will not have had any enjoyment out of it. That safe queen sh*t just preserves the pistol so your relatives can dump it for a couple extra bucks after you croak. Your pleasure will be limited to hoarding it in a safe for the rest of your life. Shoot it, customize it have a little fun. Much better than your old ladies new husband having it. :rock:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Heck if it was mine and I had no sentimentality towards it, I'd just modify it however I wanted it to be.
I agree. Make it YOUR gun (it already is anyway). Do whatever mods you want and ignore the naysayers. There is no collector value or resale value unless you are a collector or intend to resale. Do it in Melonite or a matte hard chrome. :rock:

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you buy another one with everything you want I think you'll be glad you still have the Colt the way it was made..Though as I look at 1911s all the time on GB&GA the colts that have been altered don't sell for less...
Find a Bobbed Cammander for sale and ck the price..or a refinnished..
Someone show me an altered not butchered Colt cheap and I'll buy it..

And where are the Pics? Heres my Colt Defender I'm still considering bobbing..

·
Registered
872 Posts
Here's my favorite altered / refinished Colt...I hope it's OK to borrow pics from the thread here...This isn't mine...it came from Xavier (member)
I'd like one altered like this..In fact now I'm looking for a 6th 1911.
What's not to love about this one...

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
It is your gun so it is your decision. I would leave it and get another one to customize. I would not make it a safe queen, but continue to shoot it. I personally like honest wear on a pistol. All mine get shot regularly (if I quit shooting them I sell them). I recently picked up an ugly duckling that had finish damage to it and sent it off for refinish. It wasn't honest wear or I would have left it alone.

I buy used when I can and new if I have to. I look for specific models that interest me. I am not a collector but a shooter. Currently my newest guns are a DW CBOB and a Combat Elite. My newest used guns are a DW 357 revolver, Wilson CQB compact and a Novak Colt XSE government model.

But my favorite is the custom 1919 made Colt with the Millet sights, C&S ignition, and commander GS. Most of this was done prior to me so it was not a collectors item. My rule for customizing is to try to keep it revertable to the original as I bought it. Exceptions are sights. I will change those if I need to even if the slide needs to be milled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks very much guys for all the varied input. I'm going to hold off doing anything to it right at the moment. There's a big gun show here the first of December. I plan to look there to see if I might find some other Commander style 1911 that meets my desires.

I appreciate all the enthusiastic input to a newbie here :rock:

·
Registered
277 Posts
If it was unfired I might not even shoot it, but once they have been shot they are working guns and I have no problem modifying them.

It wasn't vintage but here are pics of the sights and Ion Bond finish I had put on my 1991 Cdr.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts