1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the Combat Elite ever come with an ambi safety from the factory? If so what aftermarket would be closest to what Colt used during that time period?

Mine is a fake, half Caspian, but I'd like to maintain the illusion if you know what I mean :) .

Jeff

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Jeff,

The two that I owned in the late 80s, both had left side only, non-extended, safety levers.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hummm, that's what I was afraid of, I don't recall ever seeing any either.

I might end up buying a Meuschke ambi then, still undecided though.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
JeffC,

This is coltjeeper using my brother's username. Yes, the CE did come from the factory with an ambi safety. There were 500 in a limited run from the Custom Shop in '87 that had them (the safety was blue and identical to a standard 1911 safety, just ambi) along with a blue drop in grip safety (like on the XSE), a blue plunger tube, hammer pin, and sear pin. I believe that was everything.

Oh, btw, I know this to be true since I bought one NIB from someone recently and called Colt to find out what exactly the deal was with the differences between it and a standard CE.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you still have the gun coltjeeper? I'd love to see a pic of it. Was it an Enhanced Combat Elite or just the regular series 80?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
JeffC, my brother still has his Combat Elite but he sent it back to Colt and had all the blue parts swapped for stainless including a stainless single sided safety and a commander hammer. He also got a stainless commander style grip safety from a gunsmith(Colt doesn't currently make one anymore) He still has the original parts, he just wanted it to look like a regular C.E. From what I know, the first 500 C.E.'s were built like this before it went into regular production. They were non-enhanced and also came in a black hard plastic with foam lining box.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Did the Combat Elite ever come with an ambi safety from the factory? If so what aftermarket would be closest to what Colt used during that time period?

Jeff ...

I bought one in August fom a private FFL collector and it matches exactly what M1991A1 described.

Mine is designated as model # 08011CE "Combat Elite Custom Edition"

Considering the ambi-safety, on the left side, it has a different configuration than others ... the wing has been "shaved and grooved" to accomodate the sear pin which protrudes out slightly from the frame. Kinda like a superfiscal mate or "intramate" between the parts mentioned.

The only thing I do not like is that Colt employed a plastic mainspring houseing, which I think sucks ... along with a solid plastic trigger.

Otherwise, it has Colt's typical fixed sights and as well came with the rubber wrap around grips.

Two stainless mags came with the firearm.

However, one thing I noticed is that this gun is literally perfect right out of the factory. I mean the mate between frame and slide is quite tight for one thing. There's no uneven machineing marks or uneven bevels anywhere. :confused: Even the slide slots are machined exceptionally well ... the ejector slots, even the machineing on the front face of the slide including the recoil plug hole is in near perfect roundness.

It's so typical to to see alot of 1911's from Colt come out just the other way around.

I'm sure some the read my post may think I'm some kinda nut ... but I can't help it when it comes to the 1911's I buy.

By the way, even the bluing on the slide is deep and rich.

Looks like someone at Colt was awake when the put this one together.

Who'd thunk it? lol

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
M1991A1 said:
JeffC,

This is coltjeeper using my brother's username. Yes, the CE did come from the factory with an ambi safety. There were 500 in a limited run from the Custom Shop in '87 that had them (the safety was blue and identical to a standard 1911 safety, just ambi) along with a blue drop in grip safety (like on the XSE), a blue plunger tube, hammer pin, and sear pin. I believe that was everything.

Oh, btw, I know this to be true since I bought one NIB from someone recently and called Colt to find out what exactly the deal was with the differences between it and a standard CE.
It figures, I recently replaced all the blued 'wrong' parts on mine with stainless :biglaugh:

ReCoiL_JuNKiE said:

...Considering the ambi-safety, on the left side, it has a different configuration than others ... the wing has been "shaved and grooved" to accomodate the sear pin which protrudes out slightly from the frame. Kinda like a superfiscal mate or "intramate" between the parts mentioned.

Two stainless mags came with the firearm.

Okay that ambi does sound like a Meuschke, and I guess I'll need a stainless mag or two :)

Thanks guys,
Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts