1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first custom built 1911. Chris James is the smith and so far he has built some nice customer supplied guns, earlier this year he ordered 15 custom serialized frames and I decided to jump on it. Here is a link to his site.

http://www.combatprecision.com/Home/Wallpapers

Here are some examples of his work that I got to shoot a couple of weeks ago...It even includes a pistol he built for Chris Costa, that was quite an excellent shooter.

Costa's Pistol delivered :

Here are the first few that he's sent me(Mine is Serial #14) but it's first in build queue.

Birthday

And here is her 20 LPI Front Strap

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan to post them as I get them....it has been related to me by people that have had him build 1911's, that this part is the worst....Waiting. It's worse than water boarding so far, After getting to shoot some examples of his work it's just gotten bad.

:bawling:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
some day i hope to place an order with Chris...

I love his rear sights, glad he made them available
Side note I know that he has (or had) a couple of extra frames, a few folks that were planning builds actually purchased some Pistols he had on hand. There may be a chance you can get one of these "Combat Precision" Frame builds. Drop him a note maybe he can hook you up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on build, He's waiting on Caspian to get the slide to him. In the mean time he's working on some other small details, he reduced the trigger weight approx 25%

Before and After weight

·
Registered
246 Posts
Side note I know that he has (or had) a couple of extra frames, a few folks that were planning builds actually purchased some Pistols he had on hand. There may be a chance you can get one of these "Combat Precision" Frame builds. Drop him a note maybe he can hook you up.
I actually did place an order in January :)

Any idea what his lead time is? I did not know he sourced the slides from Caspian

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eternal24k that is AWESOME, We're like family now !! I placed my order in August, I knew that I was not the first build in the queue but I am the first Full Combat Precision build. I have been pretty hands off and not in a huge rush, since I wouldn't want him to rush my gun to get to someone else. I was talking to Chris the other day and he's hoping to have the slide soon.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Eternal24k that is AWESOME, We're like family now !! I placed my order in August, I knew that I was not the first build in the queue but I am the first Full Combat Precision build. I have been pretty hands off and not in a huge rush, since I wouldn't want him to rush my gun to get to someone else. I was talking to Chris the other day and he's hoping to have the slide soon.

Haha, I better be getting a Xmas card this year.

I have been very hands off, I know I am way down the road, haven't even cared to ask. I figure mine might be a commissioning bonus, or wedding present, or who knows, I will find something when the time comes, I'm not even engaged yet :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be honest I don't really know. I know that this is not his full time job but..3-4 weeks I am assuming. I'll ask to get a more definitive answer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I pinged him this AM and this was our discussion : So about 100 hours +/-

Rob : hey quick question
Chris : What up
Rob : and all I am looking for is a rough estimate I know nothing is firm
Rob : what is the typical build time once you have all the parts
Chris : 1,000,000
Rob : LMAO
Chris : Time
Chris : Lmao
Rob : you're killing me bro
Chris : All depends, roughly most builds have around 100 hrs
Rob : okay
Chris : Some less some more
Chris : Some go smooth and some do not
Rob : I know it's not a hard science
Rob : and I am in a holding pattern it takes what it takes
Chris : Then you have things like kids giving you stomach virus
Chris : Lmao
Rob : yeah, they are great for that aren't they
Chris : :)
Rob : Nasty little creatures
Rob : mine are almost grown so it's a little better but not much
Chris : Yours should go quick, I'll hit you back when I get back in the office and see what I have for a projected finish date is. May work you in with the next build.
Rob : no worries, again it takes what it takes but thanks I really do appreciate it

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got this picture today.......Project : Snap, Crackle and Pop is closer than ever ( It's in this stack, he wouldn't tell me which one :)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts