1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive my ignorance, I've been reading all these Commander slide on Gov't frame threads(searches) and basically I'm not sure of my findings....... Can a Gov't model be converted into a 'reliable' Commander without machining the frame?

I understand the dust cover would be longer but what's the reason for machining the rails and recoil surface back .100?

The slide stop notch, how's it different from a Gov't model? Does this have something to do with the recoil surface being set back .100?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Ok, I'm no gunsmith, but here is my understanding.

They move the rails and recoil surface back because the rear of the commander slide is that much closer to the back of the gun. If the rails were full length, the rear surface of the bottom part of the slide would slam into them.

The slide stop notch is also moved back because the recoil surface is moved back. The spring retainer sits agains the recoil surface, and the barrel lugs and link, and therefore slide stop) sit behind the spring retainer.

So the frame rails and recoil surface had to be moved back to accomodate the shorter slide. Then the slide stop hole had to be moved back because the frame rails and recoil surface were moved back. (I don't know why she swallowed the fly :) ).

So, I don't think you can smack a commander slide on the government frame and have it work the way you'd want it to. There may be some gunsmith that makes a custom slide and barrel to work in this situation, god knows they may everything else for the 1911!

Hope this is clearer than mud. If I'm wrong on anything, someone jump in and let us know!

Brian

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,444 Posts
The slide stop hole is moved back? You mean the take-down notch in the slide? The slide stop is in the same place, the recoil spring guide is just 1/10" closer to it in the Commander.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
So, I don't think you can smack a commander slide on the government frame and have it work the way you'd want it to.

Uhhmm...I have a Colt commander upper on my full size frame and it works great i.e. reliable, no malfunction. I did'nt do any mods. I Just installed 'em as usual.
Well.....okay...its a LLama frame not Colt's, is there any difference in dimension that allowed mine to work? :confused:

·
Registered
91 Posts
If your lucky it will work ok but there is no guarantee it will. A Colt style Commander slide on a Govt frame will have reduced slide travel, this may or may not be a problem depending on a lot of factors. Some aftermarket Commander length slides don't have the same dimensions as the Colts and may work better. It's no big deal to have the frame rails machined back and you'll want to shorten the dust cover to look right anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts