1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have or used a race gun built on a shorter than standard(5") slide? Was talking this week about Bob Londrigan of Brazos Custom building a open gun using a shorter than normal frame and slide to speed transitions and reduce dip when bringing the gun out of the holster(it was described to me as nearly feeling like a Limited gun). From what I've heard he's the guy to go to for this type of work. I'm considering going to Open for the benefits of a dot(mainly being able to see mistakes MUCH more clearly), but would continue to shoot Limited some, plus would like to reduce the time to transition to an Open gun. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Kyle Norris
A43621

·
Super Moderator
7,848 Posts
Using a shortened slide is fine. You should not use a commander slide, rather shorten a govt slide to commander length.

The main benefit to a light short slide with the new power factor is that you have less weight moving on recoil. And, you can add a little weight to your comp or guide rod to soften it up a touch.

The new SV guns and some of Dawson’s guns (yes, Todd Jarrett has a short slide) are set up like this. I shot a new SV gun and liked it a lot. Hopefully it won’t take four years to get one... I saw some of Bob’s stuff down at area 4, but I didn’t see any open guns with commander slides. Bob does nice work and he is a top notch shooter.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
A shortened slide gun works just fine. I had a four port short slide gun that worked well and I have a two port carry comp now that does just fine too. My suggestion though would be to make sure to use standard length recoil springs as it is easier to manage when working loads, etc. It helps to keep the overall gun shorter when moving target to target, but the tradeoff is you'll probably need to do more tweaking of the gun and loads. That said, it is no big deal. I like my carry comp gun a lot, been tempted to put a dot on it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I've emailed STI about a slide and frame(mainly to see if the junior discounts will apply up to 21 with the rules change). Hopefully I can get this project on the road early next year.

·
Super Moderator
739 Posts
Tom & PK,

I had two guns at Area 4 with shortened slides one was based on the Commander slide and the other was a govt. model shortened (that one was the one I shot in the match). The Commander is mostly for a steel gun. That gun cycled so fast with the lightened slide I thought I was having malfunctions. I really liked the feel of that gun but I was afraid that it cycled so fast that the magazines would have to be perfect for the gun to be ultra reliable. The gun worked great but I have some pretty good magazines that I maintain at top standards (with 10-12 rounds in the magazine for steel I think even marginal magazines would work). I can't send something out that has to be constantly worked on to be reliable so I concentrated on shortening a gov't model. The model that I came up with is actually lighter that the Commander model but has the same stroke length as the gov't model. The guns weighs in at 39 plus ozs. The same weight as an Edge. I am presently working with some Titanium comps to drop the weight further and get the balance to be more like a limited gun.

The shorter barrel requires more powder to make major and works the comp better. The shorter, lighter gun transitions much better and does handle similar to a limited gun. I built it originally thinking it would be for a Master class or better shooter but I have had several B shooters shoot it and it pointed so well for them that they insisted that was what they wanted, knowing that it would slow their shot to shot splits but speed up their transitions. The place where the gun really shines is shooting on the move. It does not bounce as you run like the heavier guns and you can really shoot fast on the move.

------------------
Bob Londrigan
Brazos Custom Gunworks
254-622-2245
http://www.brazoscustom.com

[This message has been edited by Brazos Custom Gunworks (edited 07-02-2001).]

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Bob,

What are your thoughts or experiences with titanium comps in terms of longevity? Given that titanium seems to be the metal of choice at the hot end of jet and rocket engines it would seem to be a good idea but what about erosion and cracking? I seem to recall that they don't hold up as well as steel but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

·
Super Moderator
739 Posts
JJ,

Usually the gun bounces every time you take a step when your foot first touches the ground, the lighter gun is less mass out at the end of a long lever (your arms) and thus reacts less to your movement. It does bounce a little more in response to recoil but in an Open gun the comp should be controlling most of that impulse.

KBear,

I'm still experimenting but I have done several things to eliminate cracking in my comps. They are thicker in the right places and have the right radii. I have never had one of my steel comps crack to this point and I have been selling them for 2-3 years now. On the other hand I've had plenty come into the shop from other manufacturers. First I want to see if their is a competitive edge for the product, then I will check out logevity and then balance cost vs. benefit. I don't know if erosion will be a problem or not, but I shoot about 60,000 rounds a year so I should know pretty quick.

------------------
Bob Londrigan
Brazos Custom Gunworks
254-622-2245
http://www.brazoscustom.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts