1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Colt 9mm 1911 style pistol. It reads "Commander Model" on the right side of the slide and "Colt's Commander Model Caliber 9mm Luger" on the left side of the slide. The Colt pony is to the right of the scrollwork on the
left side of the slide. The matching box is blue and lists the serial number (matching the gun) and the model number (04610). The description says, Combat Commander, 9mm, 4.25" Barrel, Blue Finish Model O.
My question is: is it a Commander (LW) or a Combat Commander? I checked the frame with a magnet. It is not an alloy framed pistol. Serial # 9CJ012XX

·
Registered
923 Posts
If the frame is steel, its a combat commander.
I have the same gun, and it, too, carries only the "Commander" moniker.
Guess "Combat" sounds too aggressive.
The lightweight guns are, however, are marked as such.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't imagine Colt would defer to a more PC compliant (and less aggressive) gun name in these, the roaring 2000-teens!
Thanks!

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
Next thing they'll be naming them Rainbow Commanders. :hrm:

·
Registered
23,180 Posts
I remember seeing some pretty interesting colors years ago on Titanium jewelry and thinking someday I might see that on a Titanium framed 1911. Not yet but it could be called a Rainbow 1911.

·
Registered
122 Posts
bought a used SS Commander..

and the slide is stamped Combat Commander..don't know year of manufacture, but I was impressed I can shoot it as accurately as any of my full sized 1911's..

·
Registered
86 Posts
How does it shoot? A 9mm commander is at the top of my wish list.
I bought one recently and about a week ago finally got out to shoot it. I loved it. Only about 100 rounds, no failures. Used the 2 Colt(Mec-Gar) factory mags and 2 Metalform "Springfield" mags. Nice shooting gun.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Safe not open but I have one out, 1973, S/N 70SC24092, steel/steel, Satin. Colt's Combat Commander on STB side (that's right for you non nautical), Combat Commander Colt Automatic/Caliber .45 on Port Side (yea, left side). Will advise on others tomorrow.

·
Registered
79 Posts
LW Colt Commander vs Combat Commander

According to the Colt website, the LW Commander is no longer offered. I own one and understand why.

The alloy frame while lighter then steel, is too soft for this application. Shooting standard mil-ball ammo, it functions most of the time, however, even with ball, the feed ramp gets peened in short time. It is very difficult to dermal tool out these deep dings and maintain the angle of the feed ramp and the 1/32" step at the end of the feed rail. I've had mine since the 60s shooting ball. When the Hydra shocks appeared, I tried to use them and they wouldn't feed at all. Gunsmiths refused to work on the feed ramp.

The "Combat Commander" was introduced (my theory at least) to fill the need of the Commander size pistol, but with the added feature of reliable feeding. They were all steel and I believe the "Combat" was added to the Commander name to differentiate it from the alloy frame LW model.

Since they don't make the LW Commander now, there is no longer a need to differentiate the all-steel model, so the word "Combat" is no longer needed.

Here in California, several gun manufacturers were sued for selling "non-sporting use" weapons. Some of the evidence against them was the name of the weapon. "Street Sweeper" comes to mind. "Assault Rifle" was another one. Maybe Colt saw "Combat" as a bad idea to name a gun in these days of antigun liberals. The libs claimed that no civilian needed an "Assault Rifle".

·
Registered
153 Posts
You could have gone all day, or all week, without writing that! LOL!
That ain't no joke! I rec'd a B'Day gift from Mrs. Junkee this year, a Ruger 1911 Commander LW. What a nice piece! If thats a rainbow 1911, I guess there will be a pot of lead at the end of that rainbow!:rock:

·
Registered
1 Posts
XSE Combat Combat commander

I just purchased an XSE in Stainless Steel in June it says Combat Commander on the right side. The serial says it was made in 2014

·
Registered
265 Posts
oldtimer4440

According to the Colt website, the LW Commander is no longer offered. I own one and understand why.

The alloy frame while lighter then steel, is too soft for this application. Shooting standard mil-ball ammo, it functions most of the time, however, even with ball, the feed ramp gets peened in short time. It is very difficult to dermal tool out these deep dings and maintain the angle of the feed ramp and the 1/32" step at the end of the feed rail. I've had mine since the 60s shooting ball. When the Hydra shocks appeared, I tried to use them and they wouldn't feed at all. Gunsmiths refused to work on the feed ramp.

The "Combat Commander" was introduced (my theory at least) to fill the need of the Commander size pistol, but with the added feature of reliable feeding. They were all steel and I believe the "Combat" was added to the Commander name to differentiate it from the alloy frame LW model.

Since they don't make the LW Commander now, there is no longer a need to differentiate the all-steel model, so the word "Combat" is no longer needed.

Here in California, several gun manufacturers were sued for selling "non-sporting use" weapons. Some of the evidence against them was the name of the weapon. "Street Sweeper" comes to mind. "Assault Rifle" was another one. Maybe Colt saw "Combat" as a bad idea to name a gun in these days of antigun liberals. The libs claimed that no civilian needed an "Assault Rifle".
You might want to check out the Ruger LW Commander sized model. I don't know if it will work, but the frame might replace yours, and they have a titanium insert to stop the peening. Personally I would see if someone else wanted the Colt, and buy the Ruger.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ineresting idea

oldtimer, that certainly is an interesting idea.

I've had that LW Cmdr for more than 50 years. I don't shoot it too often because I find it like an old friend but now obsolete. It would not be my first choice when TSHTF. But, it was my first "1911" and I still have the original sales receipt for $60. No tax.

However, I think I will follow your idea and see what Ruger is offering. I live in CA and Ruger does not sell any autoloaders in the big gun size because the State of CA requires that the gun must imprint the fired cases with the gun's S/N, a technology not yet possible, but CA has never been constrained by non-existent technology. We had this problem when the State demanded the a gun could only be fired by its owner.

Ruger and S&W are in court over this issue.

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
I just picked up a Colt 9mm 1911 style pistol. It reads "Commander Model" on the right side of the slide and "Colt's Commander Model Caliber 9mm Luger" on the left side of the slide. The Colt pony is to the right of the scrollwork on the
left side of the slide. The matching box is blue and lists the serial number (matching the gun) and the model number (04610). The description says, Combat Commander, 9mm, 4.25" Barrel, Blue Finish Model O.
My question is: is it a Commander (LW) or a Combat Commander? I checked the frame with a magnet. It is not an alloy framed pistol. Serial # 9CJ012XX
It is simply known as a Commander. 4.25" barrel, carbon steel frame and slide. See this link at Colt's site:

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/1991®Series.aspx

·
Registered
54 Posts
LW commander still available

Colt model O4860XSE, 4.25" barrel and alloy frame. There are quite a few for sale on Gunbroker for $900- $1000. It is still listed on the Colt website.

I used to use one for my carry gun, then I got an alloy frame Fusion with a ramped barrel, not that I had any feeding problems with my Colt. My gunsmith told me about one that had the feed ramp damaged like LXL2LL describes.

Mine is a 1974 model with a lot of holster wear, it never jams even with +P hornady ammo. I put a 22# spring in it and a flat bottom firing pin stop to get it to shoot the +p. The alloy really makes a big difference if you carry all day. It should be made from 7075T6 alloy or similar, which is tough stuff.

On the left side of the stainless slide it says "commander model Colt automatic caliber 45." There are stars on each side of the word model. The colt horse is on the slide right above the trigger. On the right side it says "Colt's PT. F.A. MFG CO Hartford Conn USA." Lightweight does not show up anywhere but the SN starts CLW.

I need to checkout the Ruger sometime. A buddy of mine came by with a brand new all steel full size SR1911 and we put 200 rounds through it, right out of the box, no malfunctions at all. It looked well made too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For the vast majority of time that Colt made Commanders, the rule was easy: more words, more weight. I.e. Commander = lightweight, Combat Commander = steel frame. I loved my Combat Commander.

Tom

1 - 20 of 65 Posts