1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the recoil spring in my series 70 Commander. My current load for target shooting is 4.0 of Bullseye & a 200 gr. SWC. Do I get a standard spring or one of the variable springs??? Thanks for any info.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
This is a somewhat subjective thing, and a lot depends on your specific gun. I have several Commanders, and a even with the same loads, a couple of them prefer different weight springs.

In general, your load sounds like it would be fine with the standard weight (18 lb.) spring.

It has been my experience that my Commanders like a SLIGHTLY heavier (20 lb.) spring for most loads.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Check the Wolff Gun Spring site, I dont know if off hand, but it will give you the factory standard weight spring for each type of gun.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
18 is std for a Commander.It's a little expensive,but the best thing to do is buy factory,+2,-2.I try each and pay attention to where my brass hits initially,not where it ends up.I prefer 4 or 5ft,but if another keeps it within 3-6ft and just feels better,that's the one I use.The plus side is you have a spring for a heavier or lighter load,just remember to keep them marked.Wolff is the only choice IMO.As far as variable compared to linear,I haven't tried a variable,and never saw a need to.I think they're mainly beneficial on wimp loads,but don't hold me to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts