1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who can I contact to find the date, manufacturer, etc by using the serial number on a commander I am thinking of purchasing? Didn't see any helpful info on the Colt webpage. I don't need some archive service that theyu offer, just interested in the basics.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
JMV

To find the manufacturer, look on the frame on the right side just above the grip stock. Most manufacturers put their name in this location. If the Commander you are interested in is a Colt this is where it will be. Be sure to look in this location as some people will put a Colt slide on a no name, or inferior quality frame and try to pass it off as a Colt. concerning the manufacturing date, if you post the first 4-5 digits of the serial number here, one of us will look up the production date for you.

Str8_Shot

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would like to know the date for my LW Commander also. The serial number is FL087xxx.
Was this gun built when Colt was using the MIM extractor or does it have the bar stock extractor?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
tension

My reference only goes up to 1978, and your serial number is newer than that. So we will need to wait for one of the other member to reply.

Also, if you bought your pistol new, and you still have the box it came in, Colt usually stamps the packing date on the ID tag on the box.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

·
Banned
5,943 Posts
tension said:
I would like to know the date for my LW Commander also. The serial number is FL087xxx.
Was this gun built when Colt was using the MIM extractor or does it have the bar stock extractor?
It's newer than the beginning of 1985. Contact the factory.

Regards,
Sam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts