1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run a commander sized 1911 in a 6360 or similar style Safariland holster intended for a government length model?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Yes, you just have a little empty space where the muzzle end of the slide would be.
Although I am not familiar with that make & model, most holsters are Conformed to the profile of the weapon, other than those cheap azz one size fits all types.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
I cut a 6360 Level 3 to Commander length and tweaked the muzzle side with some heat

I did the same for a 6378 Level 1

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cut a 6360 Level 3 to Commander length and tweaked the muzzle side with some heat

I did the same for a 6378 Level 1
From our common love of Springfield Operators to Dan Wesson lightweight commanders for duty....I like the way you think. That’s exactly the setup I’m going for. Was there any issue before you altered the holster?

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
no issues. They were just spare holsters that I had for quite some time and made the decision to cut.

I sold my DW Valkryie Commander 9mm only because I dont like the finicky nature of 9mm 1911 style mags. They ran fine, just hard to load 9 and 10 and hard to down load by hand 7, 8, 9, 10. The DW was a very nice shooter, I just switched to all .45.

I ordered me a Commander steel .45 and these holsters should work for it.

Be careful when heating the bottom to roll the edges. Try to keep the heat contained to that area so it does not travel up and affect the other formed areas.

it was easier on the open top but the 6360 has much thicker kydex that doubles over each other.

good luck

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
1911 Commander for LE use....

There is nothing wrong with using a 1911 for LE use, however, having been a Deputy Sheriff, I prefer a high capacity weapon. You never know when under stress if you will remember to reload when needed, so a high capacity firearm may prevent the need to reload......

I am not a fan of a Glock, but I did use a Glock 21 (.45acp) as a Deputy in the Orlando area. Our agency required and issued Glocks, and I could choose either a 9mm, .40S&W, or .45acp caliber....

Now that I am retired, my EDC is a high capacity 1911 style gun.....an STI 2011 Commander with 125 gr. JHP .38 super +P+ ammo. I carry 16+1 rounds in the gun, with one spare 17 round mag..... This works for me....! :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is nothing wrong with using a 1911 for LE use, however, having been a Deputy Sheriff, I prefer a high capacity weapon. You never know when under stress if you will remember to reload when needed, so a high capacity firearm may prevent the need to reload......

I am not a fan of a Glock, but I did use a Glock 21 (.45acp) as a Deputy in the Orlando area. Our agency required and issued Glocks, and I could choose either a 9mm, .40S&W, or .45acp caliber....

Now that I am retired, my EDC is a high capacity 1911 style gun.....an STI 2011 Commander with 125 gr. JHP .38 super +P+ ammo. I carry 16+1 rounds in the gun, with one spare 17 round mag..... This works for me....! :)
There is indeed nothing wrong and much right with using a 1911 for duty. I’m happy your choice works well for you and happy mine works well for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts