1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yah, I have one. Really knocked me for a loop to find one in awsome condition. I did not know there was such a thing. Now I'm making plans to customize it similar to my Gov Mod Norinco which is my favorite duty/carry/IDPA/whatever gun. I just don't think a gal can have too many 45s or 1911s. I wish I knew how to post a picture of it to show you what a beautiful gun a Norinco can be with with a few custom touches.

Genie

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
You can hook up with Jim he may post for you or if you email them to me I can try to post them up there also. Would love to see pics of it regardless. Sounds like a very nice piece!

------------------
The path of the rightous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish
and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and justice
shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truely his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children and I will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brother and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengence upon thee

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Hi Genie, my knowledge of posting pictures ends with "Provide a link".

I'd like to see the Norinco "Commander" before and after. And the worked over 1911A1 too.

P.S.
Keep posting.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sent the picture of my custom Norinco to Lupey.

The gun has had extensive work and is coated in a black polimer finish by Virgil Trip of Trip Research, Alpine, Tx. The only original parts on the gun are the frame, slide and barrel. Make no mistake, the Norinco barrels are VERY good.

Genie

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
IIRC, the 'smith that did the work lives not far from you, right Genie?

And, yes, Norinco barrels are very good. Much better than their appearance would lead one to think.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Sorry it took so long. Here She is looking all beautiful!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Lupey. Yes the smith that did the work does "live" very close to me. He is my husband, the "other" Gene.

The gun has been dehorned all over so there are no sharp edges anywhere even on the edes of the slide but not so severe as the Clark Meltdown or the Kimber. The gun points easily and fits the hand like a streamline dream. I wanted an all black gun, something not "ladylike" but beautiful which even a man could drool over.

It will feed anything and at 15yds holds one hole groups if the shooter will do their part. The sighting system is the MMC rear box in trit and Ashley small front trit. A really fast acquisition set up night or day.

The Commander style Norinco will be treated in a similar fashion but hardchromed and highly poished.

Genie

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Genie, I knew it was done by your husband, we have "talked" on the yahoo groups e-mail 1911 forum.

A very good looking 1911. It looks like it wears MMC sights, which ones? My almost constant companion wears the MMC "black" sights - I say "almost constant" since I have two other Norincos that want to get out too. LOL

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As for sights I have been worrying over them for years just to find the ones my eyes see the best and fastest day or dark. I even had lasix surgery early this year and while the Dr was at it I had my right eye "tuned" to the front sight. Even so I still hate to work with black sights; my eyes just don't do well with them or black targets. I tried the fiber optic front sights but they drove me nuts. The one sight I can work with is the Ashley small front dot and I prefer the trit in all cases.

Rear sights are another thing. I've been down the road of every configuration to settle on the MMC box design. It's a U shaped thingy in trit and the Ashley fits like a glove up front. It's the fastest sight picture my eyes have ever had the pleasure to behold day or dark. There is NO question in the dark where you are aiming.

We have the good fortune to have established an excellent rapport with the good folks at MMC. They designed a special vertical trit sight for us which is now availible but not on their regular list of custom sights.

And if I may be so bold. We offer slide work at very fast service. All you really have to do is to send the slide. In an emergency we can do overnight slide cutting and return just as long as the customer has the sights or we have them in stock. It helps to have a master class machinist in the house who loves guns and has his own milling machines. Hey, maybe that is why I spend all my time in jail working with criminals! Ya gotta pay for that stuff someway!

Genie

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Hey Genie I would love to see your gun but pic won't come up. Lupey can you fix?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually I have several pictures of 1911s produced here in the shop. I just have no clue how to post them.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Ah, the highly-sought-but-seldom-found RinCommander! Congrats on the find. I have a Special Emergency Contingency Fund specifically being reserved for one of those...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am new to the board here and saw the posting about Norincos.

It is good to see a lady with a 1911! I am new to 1911 pistols and managed to come across a Norinco 1911 a bit over a year ago. I had fired a friend's Colt 1911 a l-o-n-g time ago and didn't particularly care for the pistol. I suppose that is because I got the '1911 Thumb' as a result of not gripping it correctly. So I thought I would pick up on the Norinco if for no other reason than to resell it. I toddled off to the range and put a few rounds through it. So I thought, OK not as bad as I remembered so I'll bring it back to the range in a few weeks. This kept going on for a year now. Well guess what. It grew on me during that time. The 1911 is now my sidekick. I take it wherever I go when I carry concealed (as a friend says "Its Big Iron"). Now here is where the 'Ladies and the 1911' come in. My wife went with me to the range one day and she wanted to try the 1911. She had been shooting my Glock 17. Well, you guessed it. She now wants my Norinco. :eek:

Racegun, since you found a Commander Norinco, who knows maybe I will find one too. If not, another 1911 will do nicely. What is it about me. My wife so far has taken my favorite revolver, rifle and now has her eye on my Norinco....You think I am going to argue with a woman who has a load 1911 in her hand?

Perhaps I should abandon the idea of purchasing a Threat level III vest and wrestle it from her grasp......its cheaper to buy another than to buy a vest and pay hospital bills.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Hey, I bid you WELCOME!!! Glad you decided to join up, lots of 'Rinco information here. Not much negative feelings toward the operation of the pistols.

As to wrestling your Norinco back from your wife, ummmm, keep looking for another. They are out there, not to sound 'X-File'ish"

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actively hunt for Commanders looking to AuctionArms.com, Gunbroker.com and anywhere guns are available for sale. Sometimes you can get lucky at gunshows. They are out there but you have to be vigilant, dedicated.

When my first one was stolen it just about broke my heart. I was furious! The second one was a lucky find and luck played out again as it was the last gun we owned to be hardchromed by Virgil Tripp before he stopped the plating business.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would hate to think what would happen to the moron that stole my wife's pistol, and she learned who did it. Talk about gettin' a woopin'. Heck, since she has started clearing the X ring on FBI targets from 20-25 feet with ease, I have...ahem, volunteered to do the dishes.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for a commander. I didn't know that Norinco produced nickled 1911s. I saw one in another post. Mine, er..my wife's is a plane jane blued model. Do you know if Norinco produced any that were parkerized? I have thought that when I find another I may have it parked or black oxide finish after a bit of customizing. I like the idea of no glare produced by a defensive weapon.

Thanks for the welcome. I have read a post over the past couple weeks and this sure seems to be a knowledgeable bunch of people.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Norinco 1911's (both Gov't and commander) are available in either Parked OR Blued. On the blued model, Norinco makes the slide either all blued with a roll-stamp, or blue with a bead-blast finish on the sides and "1911A1 - .45ACP" engraved on the side instead of the rollstamp.

The finish and markings you got were up to the importer, as Norinco offers both types to imp-orters, though I think the parked and the blued models with bead blasting were slightly more expensive (hence the proliferation of the roll-stamp models).

Depending if you get yours from Lever or Marstar (the 2 main distributors in Canada), and depending on what variant they ordered from Norinco, you could get one or the other.

Mine is the bead-blasted/engraved blued model and I got it from Lever for $425. The Marstar ones are cheaper ($325) but from what I hear they are all rollstamp type and there is a long wait time after you place your order.

HTH

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Most Norincos, if not all came just plain. I've never seen one other than in the blue finish.

Fortunately we are a custom gunshop/machine shop and just love finding Norincos, working on them, making them beautiful. With me it's a dedication to a wonderful sidearm. I can and do have a nice collection of 1911s. All are custom in one way or other, beautiful and reliable but when I qualify I do it with my Norincos. They never let me down.

·
Banned
2,929 Posts
Racegun:

Do yo know if we can send down a Norinco for cutomizing to your shop from Canada or would this offend U.S. ban on Norincos. With all the crap going on in this world Clinton's ban seems to be a bit like passing urine into the wind of a hurricane.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really don't know what the laws are concerning sending a gun in for repairs to the US. I'm sure there is something about needing to send it to an FFL which should be no problem here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts