1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice guys, I picked up a commander (1991-80) a few weeks back and took it shooting again, seems the tang on the palm safty tang/spur is eating my hand (it has that narrow sharp one), I had a spare GM Brown but it wont fit with-out cutting down the radius on the back of the frame, also got a Chip M and same deal. So the question is does anyone now of a drop in for this gun? something that doesnt require the cut back on the frame? Other then that I love the gun only other change I made was a brown full length one-piece guide rod.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers
Ty

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The Wilson one is what I'm going to get for my '91 soon. Its the one that everyone else seems to get if they don't want to do any cuttin'.

------------------
"They all fall to hardball!"

·
Registered
599 Posts
The Colt Enhanced beavertail although not of the "upswept" design will be a "drop in" part. They are available in the Brownells catalog, and you'll be able to find one that
matches your 91's finish.

Mike

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you guys,
Ok I went to Brownells-
M- Are you refering to the "WILSON COMBAT DROP-IN BEAVERTAIL GRIP SAFETY" Anyone else drop one of these in a late commander/seies 80?

Cheers
Ty

[This message has been edited by Ty (edited 05-20-2001).]

·
Registered
92 Posts
I believe Wilson makes one that is an upswept, high grip safety that is a direct drop in. I put one in a friend's gun yesterday and I believe he said it came from Wilson. Kings also makes one, but it doesn't look as good as the Wilson.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I've got Wilson "drop-in" as well, but be careful with that term. You will still need to fit the lug on the grip safety to the trigger bow. Some slight filing on this tang is usually required in order for it to pivot properly to disengage the trigger when you squeeze the safety in. The cutout in this tang usually needs to be opened up a bit.

That said, it's easy to fit, and very nice looking piece.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts