1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife loves the commander size 1911 and I will be getting her one for Christmas. I have narrowed it down to two options: a Baer Comanche or a Colt Commander reworked by a 1911 'smith. Total cost for each one will be essentially the same. What do you see as the plusses and minuses of each alternative?

·
Registered
22,176 Posts
Does Baer make a Commanche variant you think she will like? Can you get delivery by Christmas? If so, as my FLG says, if the factory will do it, let the factory do it.
If you want a customized Commander to suit her personality, do you have a gunsmith you KNOW can do the work and do it well? If so, can he get it all done by Christmas? There are only four months til Christmas and that is not a long time on a major gunsmith's book... or a boutique maker like Baer, either. If not, picking a gunsmith by advertisements and magazine articles (not that there is much difference) is a risky proposition. I have seen (and owned) some sad examples of work based on a writer's plug.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent points, Jim. While my local dealer has just the LB sitting on his shelf, The folks at Wilson's are not sure they can deliver in time! My decision might just turn on this point alone!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Don't feel like you necessarily have to have the gun wrapped and under the tree by December 25th. I'm sure she'd rather get the right gun for her and wait a few extra months than get the wrong gun X-mas morning and ultimately be dissapointed. In fact, if she's a knowledgable shooter it might be fun to sit down with her and go through all of the various options and have her design her own individual 1911 from scratch. Just a thought.

Wish I had a girlfriend who liked guns. <sniff> :-(

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
FYI, Commanche turn around time is 6 - 8 weeks now thru Baer. I know - I just ordered a Concept VIII !!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Contrats on the VIII. I finally resolved this dillema by ordering a Concept VII, set up the way my wife wants it! Stainless slide, yellow rear tritium dots, checkered backstrap with removable mag well. I placed the order last week and my dealer tells me 12 weeks (he could be sandbagging, though).

Oh, and I picked up a Colt Commander too...How many 1911s is enough? At least one more than I have now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts