1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
My preference over the years has drifted to a handgun that's fairly easy to carry and be used in home self defense. The steel 1911's and larger Sigs and revolvers have been sold. Since 2006, I've carried the venerable Glock 19 and a few years later... the DW CCO 1911 .45ACP. I've found this lightweight Commander with officer's seven round mag, the ideal carry 1911, that's an excellent bedside pistol. 230 gr Gold Dot JHP's with a spare mag, this will also work perfectly if Colorado moves to mag capacity less than ten. YMMV.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I shoot a steel framed Commander better than a lightweight one. I carry for shooting as a priority, not comfort. But, with good clothing, gun belt, and holster, carrying a few extra ounces because of the steel vs. aluminum is no real burden on my mid 60s body. My EDC is a Volkmann Combatant Carry in .45acp. It has an NP3 finish and steel Bobtailed frame. I love it.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,049 Posts
I have fewer than 1000 rounds through mine, and it's one of the least accurate guns I own, but it's "minute of two-legged varmint" accurate, and I have carried it a few times.
Most of the ammo I've shot through it has been 200gr handloads, but I bought 185gr Critical Defense for carry, to protect the alloy feedramp.
I've gone to a much-smaller 9mm for daily use, but if I thought I needed a bigger bullet, the Commander is a good choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Since retirement last year I carry an early 1980’s built Combat Commander. Had the NP3 treatment before Robar closed...they added a beaver tail and Novak low profile night sights at my request. I use Golden Saber Bonded 230 gr JHP. Carry in a Milt Sparks VM2. Works well.

·
Registered
969 Posts
DW CBOB, 2008 version.

Had it @ 10 years so far.

Excellent pistol! I cast 230g TC from a Lee mould and load them over 5.3g W231/HP38.

Accurate, well balanced, reliable.

My friend has a late 60's Colt Lt Commander. His is excellent as well.

Commander is perfect IMO, right balance and feel, 4.25" barrel allows a barrel bushing.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I'm not sure you are considering the 4" compact 45 a Commander size, but my Range Officer 45 Compact has been an excellent carry gun and shooter for several years. I have made very few changes other than grips, short trigger, and Gunsite Lo Munt Safety. It has literally been a 100% reliable with my 230gr HST carry ammo or reloads, including the 200gr lead coated SWC. I have also had Colt Commanders in the past with excellent results. Just missed out on a Wiley Clapp Commander last week, darn it.:bawling:

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I've owned a number of Colt Commanders over the years. Great guns for whatever you need a pistol for and just about the perfect carry piece. My usual carry load is Federal Hi-Shok 230gr JHP. Currently I have two Commanders, a LW Wiley Clapp (my EDC) that was built by David Clevinger, and a Marc Krebs custom ORM 1991A1. My son's EDC and house gun is a Commander that I had built for him when he got into special operations several years ago. I would not hesitate to buy another.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I have a Ruger CMD in 45, really like it, it's a shooter.
A Colt Wiley Clapp lightweight, great gun, it's also a 45
Newest is a Dan Wesson Valkyrie Commander 9MM

I may like Commanders better than the 5" guns. The lightweight ones are about the size of a G19 and only slightly heavier.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I think you should get the LW Commander. Ive shot the LW & steel models, I prefer the LW for carry they are a dream to carry. My preferred load is the Rem. 230gr Golden Saber. Very accurate & functions 100% .

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I have 3 Commander (sized 1911's)

I have a Ruger 9mm, an RIA 9mm/22/TCM, and a Frankengun (Caspian frame/Colt upper) in 38super (this one is in getting a pedigree though. I sure hope it comes back soon

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did a lot of research before choosing my first and only 1911. I wanted 45, commander bob tail for CC. I handled a lot, shot a few. I finally chose a DW Guardian. Over 500 rounds through it. It has performed flawlessly. I know there are better but it fit my budget. I know everyone has their favorites for a million reasons but I feel I made the best choice for me. And I couldn't be happier......till I get my hands on that Nighthawk Border Special.
Happy hunting.

·
Registered
23,158 Posts
Love them for carry. My current one is a Colt/Talo Clapp Commander from 2013. Lovely pistol.

Several other Colts and a few Rugers and they make nice Commander size pistols they call CMDs.

Have a couple S&Ws and they make nice pistols but of course have the external extractor. An interesting one I have is my DW Classic Commander size in 10mm. Nice pistol.

·
Registered
23,152 Posts
The Commander sized guns are just about right.

For carry that is. I bought a (Commander sized) Les Baer custom carry in .38 super in May of last year. It is just the ticket.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve got three Commander sized 1911’s and three Officer’s. The Officer-framed versions are great carry pieces, and the accuracy of my Kimber Aegis Elite Ultra in 9mm is excellent. My Commander 1911’s are a Colt LW Commander in 45ACP, a Kimber Ultra Carry in 9mm, and Dan Wesson Valkyrie, also in 9mm. I’ve been shooting the Kimber for some time now, made two or three minor changes, plus better sights. As much as I like the DW, I believe I can depend absolutely on both the reliability and accuracy of the Ultra Carry.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander 9mm and stainless Kimber ProCarry (EDC) 9mm. Both are loaded with HeavyShot frangibles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sig C3, short frame, very accurate, in 45acp
Kimber Pro Carry II in 9mm, wife’s gun, alloy frame, great shooter
Kimber Aegis, optic sight, steel frame, round butt, in 9mm..WOW!
I like all my 1911s, they’re like whiskey....ain’t no bad ones...jus’ some better than others!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wow - lots of good counsel here.

Here’s my recent experience, all 9mm:

Colt lightweight: performs well but Ian not crazy about the standard barrel and aluminum frame, so the bullet nose hits the aluminum feed ramp. I removed the Series 80 bits. Never failed though.

STI all-steel: one of the older single stacks. Bushingless barrel and SOLID - no MIM parts! I bought an aftermarket threaded barrel for suppressor use. Reliable as an anvil - and almost as heavy.

Dan Wesson: I forget the model name, but it’s the bobtail aluminum frame. Ramped barrel. Very well fitted. Accurate. Reliable. Good night sights stock.

My advice? Buy the Dan Wesson and shoot.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts