1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Commercial Colt 1911 today. It looks like the bushing and mag release have been changed. The slide stop and the thumb safety are the right type but look a little newer that the brown patina on the rest of the gun. The grips are correct but the mainspring housing is smooth and flat with a lanyard loop. I dont know if that is correct or not. Asking price is $895, I got him to $850 but I think that is still to high. The SN is C171XXX. Give me some suggestions.

[This message has been edited by Ken Neal (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Administrator
74,641 Posts
I think the price is fair for a gun that is all correct, but if the bushing and mag release are wrong that would certainly hurt the value. The MS housing is also incorrect, as all USGI/commercial 1911/1911A1 pistols had a lanyard loop until after WW2, but by that serial range it should be arched (unless you added one too many X's). BTW the finish on the controls typically held up better than the slide and frame, hence the different hue to the finish. Move him down some more, like down to $700.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gentlemen:

Picked up a Comercial today obtained at Auction - coincidentally, the Ser.# is 179xxx. All parts are correct and the Ser. # on the frame and under the f.p. stop match. About 90%- slight wear on frontstrap and at the very tip of the muzzle. Excellent Colt 2-tone mag.; 1935 manufacture gun for which I paid 800 +$25 shipping.

The FFL who received it for me deals in VERY EXPENSIVE collectible firearms (lots of 5 and 6 figure guns and a lot of Colts), indicated he thought here in CT, it would retail about $500 - $600 more than the price paid. Of course, here in Fairfiled County things get a bit expensive.

Hope this helps,

Roger D.

[This message has been edited by Roger D (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dsk,,,

I knew I could get good info from you. The SN and X's are correct. I offered him $500 after he asked for an offer and I told him I didnt want to insult him, he pressed me and I offered up in hopes he might come off the $850 a little more. If I thought he would take the $700 I would buy it and try to get it back to original.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I guess this has been addressed!

[This message has been edited by Simian (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Simian,

Not wishing to offend anyone I have changed the offensive word in my original post. I never thought of it as an etnic slur but simply another term for negotiation.

I guess I could have said haggled, or dickered too but those didnt come to mind.

On a lighter note, I can still recall when gay meant happy.

Please accept my apology.

·
Registered
286 Posts
No apology necessarry. I just wanted to make sure that others weren't hurt or offended by a misplaced word. Too much PC in this world in my opinion!

My message has been edited as well.
------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

[This message has been edited by Simian (edited 07-14-2001).]

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Ken, I have a commercial model from 1918 and it has a smooth flat mainspring housing with a lanyard loop attached.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts