1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can't answer your question

because i am not qualified to do so. I bought mine used and it had already been fitted with the full length guide rod and plug. The Wilson catalog says that the officer's model benefits more than any other model from a full length guide rod. Mine works great.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Back when the Officer's Model guns were the current item, there was an issue about the little tab that retained the recoil spring plug shearing off on some guns.

The aftermarket industry responded with guide rod kits that eliminated the possibility. Our shop usually uses the King Officer's Guide Rod and Barrel Bushing system, as you get a match tight bushing that is strengthened as well. Gunsmith installation is recommended, as the bushing must be fit and the slide altered very slightly.

Today we have a new, simpler option. Clark's Gunsmithing has a drop in recoil spring plug that requires little or no gunsmithing and is only a few dollars from them or Brownell's. Either modification, in my opinion, is a good idea.

Colt solved the problem completely with the Officer's Model's replacement - the Defender. Bill Laughridge of Cylinder & Slide helped them with the design, and the Seecamp recoil system and factory cone barrel make the gun more accurate and reliable, out of the box, than the Officer's.

Having said all this, some people have had no trouble with their stock Officer's pistols.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts