1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited my father-in-law's Kimber Compact CDP pistol and have several questions. I noticed that the slide is made from SS but the frame appears to be made from an alloy. How durable is the frame? A friend of mine said this pistol is made to be carried alot and shot very little. Is this true? The pistol appears to be very well made. Before my father-in-law passed away he bought both the Compact CDP and a Stainless Classic Gold Match (which he also left to me). Is there a particular type of ammo. that this pistol likes (the CDP)? Does it function well with HP ammo.? All info. appreciated.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Before you ruin that alloy framed CDP by shooting it, be sure to buy at least one additional steel framed gun for a spare.

On a serious note, Wilson Combat gets their frames and slides from the same supplier that Kimber does. Wilson backs all his guns with his "you will be extremely satisfied" lifetime warranty. I don't think Wilson would be using that same alloy frame in his Protectors if he was afraid of them.

Still, I would get a couple of spare guns just in case.

------------------
"I would like to see a restoration of a Constitutional Republic, with the federal government defanged, muzzled, shackled and cast back into its constitutional prison." - Noumenon (From FreeRepublic.com)

·
Registered
248 Posts
FIB
Hope this helps. Kimber has their alloy frames made from 7075-T7 aluminum which is extremely hard. I have a Pro-CDP which has been shot 2000 rounds with no signs of wear.

Callahan is right about Wilson using the same frame. Both companies have Jerico make their slides and frames.

Long live the 1911

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by FIB:
A friend of mine said this pistol is made to be carried alot and shot very little.
NOOOOOO...I won't stop shooting it, I wont stop shooting it, I won't stop shooting it! All my CDP has done so far is shoot! As for the carry gun comment from your friend, "carry gun, to be carried only" if one can't trust his gun in training, why would he trust it when his life depends on it?
(Not for shooting...hahahaha!)

·
Registered
133 Posts
They say that the CDP frame has had 20,000 rounds shot through it but this is what Kimber say's.I would use a shock buffer when range shooting but for concealed carry I would not use a buffer.It is a very fine pistol so shoot it and shoot it often. Later

1 - 5 of 5 Posts