1911Forum banner

compact CQB, worth the cash?

1311 9
I'm thinking about buying a new compact CQB. But are they really worth so much money? Can't i get pretty much the same quality of gun in a Kimber CDP?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
I was recently faced with the same dilemma.
I own a Classic Stainless from Wilson that I really love. I had some quality issues with a previous Wilson gun in the past, but Wilson's service was unbeatable. I did not own a Kimber but felt that it would be a step down in quality. I wanted a "Light Wt. Commander" so I could have a full length grip. I could also use my many Wilson 8 round mags with them being flush. The CQB compact was an "Officer" model and would cost me $700 more. I had a Goverment model and did not need a Commander,but I wanted one. I purchased the Kimber and had to work on the pistol to bring it up to a higher standard. I did or had the following done :a trigger job,adjust sights, dehorn main spring housing, replace slide stop,adjust mag release. The gun now has been reliable and accurate. Would I change if I had to do it all over again? Probable not at this time,(gun only several months old). Kimber is not Wilson nor does it cost the same. I guess you get what you pay for.

· Registered
2,876 Posts
The Kimber CDP is an aluminum framed gun. The Wilson is steel, unless you want the lightweight very. If you plan on a lot of shooting, go with steel.

My CQB Compact arrived yesterday at my FFL guy's place. I hope to pick it up today. I already have a CQB full-size and it shoots great.

You can take a compact and get all the work done on it and save a little money, but I personally like the package deal myself.

Chances are, if you don't want anything special done to the gun, then you can find someone like PT Partners that will have it for you. Terry of PT is often participates in this forum. Otherwise, you will have to have it ordered which is taking about 2 months right now.

· Registered
547 Posts
I haven't personally owned the CQB Compact; but I have had the pleasure of shooting a friend's. A LOT. From spending so much time with the gun at the range, I think it's worth the ticket price. Eventually, I'll probably end up getting one for concealed carry.

Should you decide to buy one, I also recommend using Terry Peters as the expediter. I don't want to swell up his head too much; but the man's a living legend around here

· Registered
8 Posts
I took delivery on my CQB compact today with much anticipation. This for me was the most expensive handgun that I've ever owned. Needless to say that my expectations were very high. For the better part of 15 years I've lusted for a Wilson Combat gun. Today those expectations were filled. What a pleasure it was to cut loose the nylon tie strip that seals the action shut. I had only the time to fire 150 rounds. Not one malfunction of anytype. The Gun is very very accurate. To me this is the most accurate 4 inch barreled 45 i've ever fired. The finish and workmanship are 1st rate.
I own Glocks, Colts, and Kimbers. All are very good guns, but this one seems more "special" it displays confidence in such a way thay you know you can bet your life on it. I'm happy and yes the gun is worth every cent I paid for it. JMHO

------------------
"to ride, shoot stright, and speak the truth"

G

·
I own a CQB Compact and have checked out the Kimber CDP. In my view, the CQB is tough to beat. But, it does cost more.
Dennis D. Carter

· Registered
46 Posts
Airborne,
Buy it! It's definetly worth the cash. I bought my on a whim and later couldn't believe that I dropped so much cash on a gun I've never shot but after one session at the range, it was worth every penny!

I already own a Kimber standard pro carry (aluminum lower) but as soon as I picked up the CQB compact at the store, I knew this was something special. I'm no 1911 expert but I could feel the difference in trigger pull alone! The CQB is my carry gun. Buy a great holster like the Braveheart Kytac and you won't regret the purchase. After the CQB, I regret the purchase of the Kimber.

· Registered
2,876 Posts
Finally got mine in hand! It shoots well. I would like to tell you that I shot it for hours on end, but only had time for 100 rounds, all fine, no problems, accuracy seemed good for the drills we were doing.

You don't get the specs for the Compact in the catalog or on the website. The steel version of the gun weighs 33 oz, empty (on my mail scale), which is just 5 oz lighter than the full-size (Wilson's data). I don't know how much lighter the light weight compact would be, probably about another 3 ounces less.

There are some definite issues with Armor Tuff not being so tuff and you may wish to get the gun hard chromed in a matte finish (which would be my choice) to really get a finish that would last a lot longer.

I think the compact size gun (AKA CCO size) is an excellent way to go with a very concealable 1911 without really any significant loss of velocity from the 5" barrel of the full-sized 1911s. Sure, there is some loss, but according to Shooting Times, for some defensive ammos, the difference was less than 50 fps. The size, combined with the heavy cone barrel make for a nice handling gun (based on my very limited experience). Wilson 1911s are fine guns.

· Registered
1,048 Posts
Hey Double Naught

Glad you got your new toy in hand and are enjoying it.

Now your full size has a little brother to play with

Gotta agree with ya on Wilson's being fine pistols. I've had good experience with mine and their service.

So is the compact going to be your main concealed carry or are you going to keep on chugging with the full size for your concealed carry tool?

Ross T.

[This message has been edited by ROSANGHAL (edited 05-25-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.