1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to buy my first carry gun, and looking for a little help. I really like the compact(4"), but the guy at Novak's 45 shop says their is a problem with the bushing design. Novak's says to go with the ultra(3.5") the problem dosn't show with this gun. Anyone have any info. on this or a fix, also how does the recoil differ in the two. New to pistols and the board, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got an older compact bull barrel runs like a top. Feeds all ball and 3 or 4 different hollowpoints I've tried. The 4" gun is more shootable for me compared to the 3"

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I didn't think the compact had a bushing, but a bull barrel instead.:confused:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just bought my Ultra Compact, and I love how easy it hides with just shorts and a tee shirt. I am not an expert, but here is what I found when looking at the Ultra Compact.
The recoil from the ultra compact is mild and very manageable, and my wife actually enjoys shooting it. My only complaint with mine is when I shoot 230 gr FMJ, I do not get a consistent group even when rested on a sandbag. However, when I shoot anything under 200 gr I get a 2" group or less hand held. This is shooting at 7 yards. I only have 350-400 round through it, so it is not broke in yet and I am still trying different ammo. I have had no malfunctions and have made this my carry gun. I found some Winchester 230 gr JHP Subsonic ammo that was very accurate in my ultra and that is what I am currently carrying in it. Before I bought the Ultra Compact I looked at the Springfield Compact and every comparable Colt and Kimber. I wanted small but no aluminum frame. After searching and holding several guns I had read about, I found the Ultra Compact fit what I wanted. When researching and asking questions the Compact came very highly recommended, even more so than the Ultra Compact because there have been a few feeding problems reported with the Ultra Compact. I recall seeing several people say that the problems with the Ultra Compact were due to space inside the gun and could cause jams or malfunctions and this is why they would recommend the Compact. My only problem with this is they both use the same frame from what recall and I am not sure if the chamber of the Compact would be greater than the Ultra Compact, but I would like to know if there is a difference because there does seem to be less complaints on the Compact. It seems like any feeding problems were solved with a trip to Springfield or another ammo brand.
I also believe Forstr was correct there is no bushing on the Compact. Did he say what kind of problem it was causing because I have not seen many complaints on the Compact? I really enjoy shooting my Ultra Compact and would highly recommend it for carry. I hope this helps.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
I have both the Compact and the TRP Operator with the same stype Bull Barrel setup and have never had or heard or any problems.

I have however hear a number of problems with FTF/FTE with barrels shorter than 4 inches. Something to due with recoil springs and timing issues.

Do a search on the forum and you will find all sorts of info on both the Compact and the sub compacts.

Good luck

Karsten

1 - 8 of 8 Posts