1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posted these photos in another thread, and thought you Kimber guys might be interested. These are two original series Kimbers, a stainless Compact and a Pro SLE. The Pro has been bobtailed, and really is as easy or easier to carry than the Compact. Let's not even talk about Ultras! The bobtailed Pro keeps the full-size grip and one extra round, while the Compact maintains the sharp rear corner, just like the Ultras. I'm saying, with a bobtail, it's easier to carry than with either a Compact or Ultra, and I do it all the time!
Tracy

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
My primary carry gun is also a Pro Stainless SLE with an Ed Brown bobtail. The hardest part of the pistol to conceal is the butt, the barrel length doesn't count for a whole lot. The bobtail gives you very close to the concealability of the Compact with the advantage of having 8 rds in the magazine. That's pretty hard to beat. To me it's especially comfortable to carry because you don't have the sharp corner jabbing you in the ribs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Carry my Ultra Carry in a Jackass Shoulder Holster under a sport coat. It tips the barrel up and drops the grip down. No bobtail needed. Does not print even when the jacket is buttoned. The grip will print if I use a Miami Classic with a more horizontal carry.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't even own a sport coat! I guess one of my leathers would work with a shoulder rig, but in AZ, even in the winter, you've gotta take the jacket off when you get to your destination. The pistol better fit under a loose t-shirt or sweatshirt or vest to get you by!

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Come on Huevos, we haven't moved to Browns yet! I've got to say, I love this Pro SLE almost as much as any of my other high-end guns, but I've done alot of work to it too!
Tracy

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Love the bobtail !!
I carry IWB under just a loose tee most of the time, having that little triangle hacked off the butt really does make a difference..
Can I post a pic of my D** W***** in a Kimber thread ... ??!!? :eek:

...huh...guess so.....

:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course you can...it's all the same frame! Nice looking DW buddy! I love all builders, and the old DW's were wonderful!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Husk...mind if I ask where you got the nice Jump Wing grips? A very nice addition to the Kimber :)

4th/325 (83-85) Vicenza
2nd/325 (85-87) Bragg

I've got an Ultra Raptor II with the custom shop rosewood grips that might like a switch to plastic/polymer.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Original Bob tail

I had the chance and almost bought the first Bobtail Ed Brown did. it was the one that was on the cover of, I think, Guns& Ammo. A dealer here in Austin that sells high-end .45's had it. He wanted $2600 for it and I backed out because I figured it had been shot and probably had been handled a lot also , and in my eyes it was a used gun, and I just though he was asking too much..

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I've got an older "Compact Custom" which appears to be the same gun as Husker's, but in steel....

Great carry....

I added an arched MSH and Pachmayr grips though.... I like them :D.

The arched MSH doesn't help the printing issues too much, but it's not that bad.

I just picked up a Para CCO (about the same size, but a smidge shorter barrel) and (naturally) added an arched MSH to it and a Pearce modular frontstrap cover. (The Para grips are real nice....) No beavertail (it's an LDA) so it carries just a little better....

I just like the shorter (but fatter) grip frame.... Both of these carry well....

The Kimber may grow the Pearce strap cover and some "pretty" grips. The stock grips are almost as ugly as the Pachmayers.... :D

Regards,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts