1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Springfield 1911 A1 Mil-Spec
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec after 25 years from losing the last one.
It came with one clip. So, I bought a stainless steel Wilson Combat 8 round clip. I polished all the edges with flitz polish and a dremel.
So, I finally took it to the range today, shooting 230 grain ball ammo. I loaded the Wilson Combat and the stock clip and fired 50 rounds out of each of them.
In the end, I had 2 rounds jamb at different times because they didn't load fully into the chamber.
This was the new Wilson Combat clip.
All 50 rounds fed through the stock clip without any problems.
What should I do? Just use the 7 round stock clip or continue using the new 8 round Wilson?
Do I just need to keep feeding it to get "Broke in" or possibly have the ramp professionally polished?
Besideds that, the 1911 shoots just fine and very accurate at 15 feet.
Font Gas Sleeve Circle Art

Product Font Gas Art Circle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's called a magazine. A clip is for an M1 Garand and such.
But, you knew what I was talking about.
..Sorry, MAGAZINE. WOOPS, Magaz"i"ne, I forgot to dot my i.
You don't have to point things out like that to other people. We are all different and we all say and do thing different than you. Like me not replying back to your criticism. I'm going to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd keep using both and see if it breaks in after some more shooting. Which specific Wilson magazine do you have. Most of mine now are ETM mags. I use them fo r competition.
All I know is its the Wilson 47D 8 round clip. Its stainless steel

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts

Understanding the two is crucial, especially if you will be using long-range rifles. (And perhaps even more important if you don’t want to face backlash from other shooters on your favorite internet gun forum!)

To be fair, if you tell your friend you will “place the clip into an AR-15,” your friend would know what you mean. But this would actually be a false statement, as you can’t load a clip, in the definitive and literal sense, into a AR-15.

Btw, keep using both mags at the range but don't rely on that Wilson Combat mag for anything other than range use until/unless it performs flawlessly.

Jmho

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
Magainzes do not need polishing to function. If that were true we would have lost WW ll..... Flitz on a Dremel is not going to accomplish anything useful. You're problem is most likely NOT the magazine. So you really think that gun is accurate printing groups like that at 15 feet? Feel free to call me any name you prefer.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Magainzes do not need polishing to function. If that were true we would have lost WW ll..... Flitz on a Dremel is not going to accomplish anything useful. You're problem is most likely NOT the magazine. So you really think that gun is accurate printing groups like that at 15 feet? Feel free to call me any name you prefer.....
I'm not going to call you anything. I haven't shot a handgun in 10 years. First time to the range with my new 1911. I think it and I, did pretty well for such a long time off.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
But, you knew what I was talking about.
..Sorry, MAGAZINE. WOOPS, Magaz"i"ne, I forgot to dot my i.
You don't have to point things out like that to other people. We are all different and we all say and do thing different than you. Like me not replying back to your criticism. I'm going to.
Some people get all excited when the word clip is used and they want it to be called a magazine. I am sure magazine is the correct word to describe it but many people use clip and it has been used for so long it is pretty much interchangeable now. At least that is how I see it. I certainly know what everyone is talking about when they use the word clip. You are doing the right thing by just moving on with your discussion. Most members here are not trying to be negative about things like that.

·
Registered
13,353 Posts
All I know is its the Wilson 47D 8 round clip. Its stainless steel
Wilson makes a fine line-up of magazines. The 47D is their "old school" 8 rounders. They use the same tube length as their full size 7 round 47 ( Wilson Combat 1911 Magazine | 7 Round .45 ACP | Full-Size ) sometimes it is a tight squeeze getting 8 rounds in the 47D, especially when they are new. The Wilson ETM line-up will have a longer tube and, in general, are better 8 round mags than the 47D.

Wilson Combat includes instructions with their mags. If you haven't seen them ...

Like other mechanical devices, your Wilson Combat® magazine may be a little stiff when first used. This is normal and should not effect its feeding capabilities, however you will notice that as you use your magazine it will become easier to load and seat in your pistol and it will function even more smoothly over time. If you wish to expedite the break in pro- cess simply leave your new magazine loaded to capacity for a day or two, this will preset the spring to normal operating tension.

·
Premium Member
11,984 Posts
All I know is its the Wilson 47D 8 round clip...
As noted, that is not a true 8 round magazine. It's like trying to stuff 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag. There's only so much room and something has to give. In this case a weaker mag spring due to limited space fo one of proper strength. The extra round took up that space. True 8 round magazines will protrude out the bottom of the grip frame.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Recommend you buy more magazines of the same configuration as the factory magazine that is reliable in your gun.
Personally, I like magazines that do not extend past the frame of the gun, so just about all mine are 7 round.
I particularly like Metalform magazines because they are well made, reliable and inexpensive. Of course your mileage may vary.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts