1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Holidays to all!
Well, I just picked up my Xmas gift to self -- Detective Special in 99+ condition with a professionally bobbed hammer in box with instruction manual. This is what some people call a 4th Issue gun. So ... I was sitting here enjoying the moment when it occurred to me that the gun is not that much lighter than a 2-inch S&W M64-2 that I have. Got out the postal scale and weighed both guns.
DS = 25.9ozs.
64-2 = 28.7ozs.
2.8oz difference in weight.

Both guns hold six rounds.
Both guns use the same speedloader models from both HKS and Safariland.
Both guns can use +P ammo.
Both guns are fix sight, steel frame models.
Both guns Have rubber grips.
Both guns are two heavy for pants pocket carry.
Both guns are damn fine belt carry snubs.
Both guns are damn fine jacket pocket carry snubs.

My conclusion is that the Steel D frame and K frame 38s are really the true competition for one another, rather than the D frame being competition for the steel J frame guns. The alloy D and J frames do compete head-to-head as the alloy K frames really did not find a market niche that I could ever see.
Anyway, just food for thought. Alternative opinions welcome!

·
Registered
677 Posts
My DS fits in most leather designed for J frames. My 64 did not. My DS is also much more acurate than my 64 was. Sold the 64, kept the DS. A no brainer for me. :)

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
The later Colt DS is factory rated for +P ammo, BUT for 3000 rounds, after which the frame might need to be replaced.

Since frames are no longer available, a smart owner limits the amount of +P fired through a DS.

The Colt is a slightly smaller frame size then the S&W "K" frame, but it is closer to the "K" than the "J".

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True, the Colt is rated for limited use with +P ammo but that is fine with me. I don't think I will shoot the 2k-3k limit in my DS in my lifetime. There really is no reason to as it will be strictly a range gun. 3.0 of bullseye with a 158 lswc will do just fine for my purposes.
These guns are very neat!

I have not fired my DS yet, but my model 64 is every accurate and a very fun piece to shoot. I hope the DS proves as fun. My Colt Agent is a real hoot and a tackdriver for sure.

·
Banned
380 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but the Colt DS has never been the competition for the S&W K frame. That niche was held by the Colt Official Police. It was indeed available with a 2" bbl as well as the longer lengths. You may also know that the frame of the long discontinued OP is the frame of the fabled Python which competed with the M-19. In the early days, Python won the competition every time. Then Colt quality started dropping in the 1970s while that of S&W actually improved, the rest became history.

If you measure the cylinder wall thickness and compare the steels you will see why most who carried them daily back in the days of revolvers compared the Colt D frames to the S&W J frames.

G

·
Both are nice steel frame guns, but if you want a D-frame for daily carry I'd invest in a Cobra or Agent. One thing you can't say about a Smith vs. Colt. Your Colt will only appreciate in value while the Smith will depreciate. You can always get your investment back and sometimes make a small profit on a Colt, while the same cannot be said for the S&W. JMHO

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am sure you all are right as I just posted my observations. Jetman, I agree on the alloy D frames for Carry. my EDC is an Agent.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I own 3 Cobras, all short frame '68-'69 vintage. I also own 1 long frame RB Det. Spec.. The Cobras have the flexibility of using long or short grips. With the short grips mounted the Cobra is just a tad bigger than a J frame. So all but 2 of my J's are gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts