1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents and Ladies; I'd like some feedback. Considering between a new Colt Defender ($700 locally) and a used Springfield V-10 ($500). Never saw a V-10 till the other day, and it looked like a nice piece. The porting looked interesting, but wouldn't the gases coming from that nail me in a close-up self defense situation? What experience do you have with reliability comparisons, action, etc?

Mikey

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have fired the Defender and it is a very nice gun. The only gripe I had was it hits fairly hard in your palm when fired.

I own a V10 and absolutely love it.

gripes? Ditch the SA mags if you have feed issues, I am running 7rd McCormicks and they are flawless.

pistol shoots 1" groups at 25'. I even shot a possible WEAK HANDED with it.

thats a good price for the gun considering the lifetime warranty on the gun.

you would be happy with either gun I would think.

·
Registered
69 Posts
one other thing, you mentioned the ports.

I was distracted the first 20 or 30 rounds with the flame shooting up, but you forget it's there after awhile,. Seriously, I shoot it now and don't even notice it at all. however, firing it in a pitch blank alley at night would alert EVERYONE as to your exact location!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I like my V10. I've only put around 1000 shots through it, but it is accurate and has been totally reliable.

·
Registered
633 Posts
According to SA, the lifetime warranty is to the ORIGINAL owner only. I have that statement from them in an email I received when asking a question about a SuperTune gun that I purchased.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You'll be very happy with the V-10 if you have the luck I have had with mine, very easy shooting for a small .45, everyone that has shot it is very impressed with the recoil or should I say lack of recoil, I have shot several defenders and a ultra carry kimber, I wouldn't trade this v-10 for either of them, it's very easy to aquire the target on second, third, ect shot, it has less muzzle flip than my full size SA 1911, Before you buy it, make sure it has not been throated, It seems people have over throated these guns and never got them to feed right after that, mine was polished but not opened up, it feeds ball ammo perfectly, it does ok with LSWC, I carry glasers safety slugs in it for carry and have shot a couple mags of them through it just to see if they hung, they didn't, 500 is a very good price on one,

As far as the gases nailing you, I have not had one problem with that they go damn near straight out at a angle, I have shot probably 1200 rnds through mine already, Mostly outdoors, however I have shot it at a indoor range and had them turn the lights out on the range, there was only a 4 ft light on behind me, the muzzle flash was nothing like I was expecting, (I did this to see the effect it would have shooting at night or in the house) I figured it would temporaly "blind" me at night, it did not, the front sight gets pretty hard to see after about 250 rounds, after about 150 it is grey, as far as it hurting your point of aim if needed in self defense, There is nopthing IMO to worry about, unless you are going to be able to get off some 100+ rounds <grin> I notice after about 200 rounds you need to clean it and oil it, although mine was hardly broke in at that point.

Now 1 inch groups at 25 feet is something I cannot do with this pistol, not even on a bench rest, although I havn;t put it in a ransom rest, but it is very accurate for a 3" bbl, I posted my results on my web site a while back, here's a link if your interested http://www.bikershut.com/v10.htm
also go to the sight they have some very good reviews with compact .45's here's that link http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/4x45_1.htm

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
V10 Price

Hey guys what would you say about a V10 with less than 500 rnd loaded but no ambi safety (older that 2003) from a private buyer at $475.00?????

Please advise.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I was skeptical of the Defender due to what must have been a bad bunch. Since then I guess the bugs have been worked out. I wound up getting one a few months back and it has run flawlessly. I am shocked at how accurate it is and just how little felt recoil there is.

ranburr

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
old-lefty said:
Hey guys what would you say about a V10 with less than 500 rnd loaded but no ambi safety (older that 2003) from a private buyer at $475.00?????

Please advise.
i would say go for it
sounds great

1 - 9 of 9 Posts