1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
building a single-stack caspian and discovered an unpleasant surprise when fitting the trigger: the floor of the trigger raceway was machined about .050" above the bottom of the triggerguard. When properly fitted for height in the raceway, the trigger leaves a nice hideous gap between bottom of the trigger and and the inside of the triggerguard. Looks like this with the trigger installed:

and without the trigger:

You can see that there is still a noticeable radius of trggerguard left below the trigger raceway. I've had some gaps in caspian frames before, but this is (to me) a little too much to just let slide. Ok - manufacturing glitches happen, not posting to piss and moan but would like to get a reality check on the best way to compensate for or address this before I start chiseling away.

My thought was the best way to "fix" this and get a nice proper looking trigger install was to file the bottom of the trigger raceway flush with the bottom of the triggerguard, and then fabricate a trigger that is sized perfectly to fit the new height dimension. The new trigger height will be .942", which is so much beyond the manufacturing specs that I am guessing I will have to fabricate it myself (or just buy one from Carlos Castillo since I am lazy and his stuff looks better then anything I will turn out).

If anyone has any suggestions about an easier way to produce a nice gap-free fit I would certainly appreciate their advice.

Thanks for reading,
Jared

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fair question - the rear of the trigger bow is coming to rest against the disconnector flat only a few thousands higher then normal, so I believe it is the angle at which the raceway (and trigger bow slots) were machined from rear to front that is causing the difficulty. regardless, I've already fit the frame to slide and I couldn't really expect anyone to take the frame back after it's been worked on in this fashion (nor would I actually want to return it after the work already put in on slide to frame fit). Mostly curious to see if others have come across this sort of situation before and how they resolved it before I take off metal that I cannot put back on. :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have used an EDM to clean up the trigger bow area in a couple of pistols that I have, but don't expect you to do the same. If you can file your trigger channel and come up with good results (straight and even) then I want to shake the hand of a MASTER! I believe the factory broaches this.
Short of returning this to Caspian, I think you have an up-hill battle. You should consider calling them and see what they will do for you. They may even supply a new frame fitted to your level of completion. Who can tell without asking?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Todd C said:
I have used an EDM to clean up the trigger bow area in a couple of pistols that I have, but don't expect you to do the same.
uh yeah, my own EDM is uh, on the fritz right now... :D

Not at all sure that I'll be able to take out .040" worth of steel with a lug file and keep the results true and even, so believe me, I'm not really rushing in to try that either. I'll contact the manufacturer just to see what they have to say, but to be fair to them, i purchased the frame quite some time ago and have only now begun to work with it - I should have done a more thorough examination when I took receipt of it (ended up travelling for work so it just sat in the safe for a year...).

to be honest, the gap does not affect the trigger pull at all, and I'm getting a very nice crisp 3# pull with an EGW sear and Koenig hammer, so I'm inclined to just suck it up and live with it for a while and see how much the cosmetics really bother me.

Thanks for your reply,
Jared

·
Registered
652 Posts
I ran into the same thing on my latest Caspian build. Thought I had missed something at first. Since there is darned little I can do about it, and I didn't think it was worth bugging Caspian about, I decided to like it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If it were me I'd send it back. These things aren't cheap, and you put alot of work into them. It's up to you, but my eye would keep going there, "a thing once seen cannot be unseen" and it would grate on me, especially after all the exacting attention to detail I put into it. Just my obsessiveness, but hey, it must bug you if you brought it up along with those excellent pictures.
Josh

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
I purchased a new frame and it was also the same way. I dropped the floor of that trigger pad opening some but not as far as some. Did you try the Caspian forum about this or call Caspian? They may be able to machine it down under warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.