1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's another Novice question please forgive my ignorance.

I know the Patriot is everything I could want in a Competition .45

BUT
Would it be Practical to carry also? A few people whom I've spoken to said it's a Comp gun not practical for carry. They recommended if I wanted a carry stick with the Colt Defender. Now I'm confused!

This Saturday I'll be at the Range. Steve is a Dan Wesson Dealer He said it's a fine gun but he too advised against using it as a carry.

I really feel foolish. Please Help! I'd appreciate any and all advice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rhino

I felt the same as you do. I remeber when I purchased my S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece it was used as a "carry gun" and a competition gun. I did treat it well. Its' overall condition is still great. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
20,377 Posts
The Patriot and the Defender are completely different pistols. I'd suggest narrowing your search parameters down so you can compare like features. We'll be glad to tell you more than you want to hear! :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
You're probably talking to someone that thinks any full size 1911 is too big for a CCW; thus the Defender recommendation.

On this thread you're hearing from guys that think carrying a full size 1911 is just fine (and I happen to agree, as my RZ is my most carried pistol). It's weight is a bit of a negative, but it's thinness makes it almost as comfortable as my G29.

A smaller 1911 would be easier to carry, but if the extra weight/size doesn't bother you, the Patriot, and any other full size 1911, is fine for carry.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
I pack a Razorback all day everyday.

It replaced a Colt's OM that I had packed for over 25 years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most of you have "hit the nail on the head" when it comes to carry "size! This is the biggest issue. The folks whose opinions I've asked focused on "size" for CCW. To me this is a "moot" issue. I've been carrying A S&W Model 15 4" - Beretta 92D - Sig P226 these are not lightweight nor small guns. I bought the KAHR PM9 because I Road Cycle quite a bit and didn't want to lug around my Beretta 92D or Sig P226.

Another friend of mine who admires Dan Wesson firearms asked why I wanted a Single Action as opposed to a DAO. I don't even understand where that fits in to the scheme of things.
I want a .45 that I can carry and compete with. I was delighted to hear that many of you carry the same .45 you compete with! Some of the Ultra expensive Models most folks fire them and put them away. I can understand why to a degree -- the gun was purchased for the specific purpose of competition use only.

The Defender caught my eye because of the way it fit my hand. I've yet to touch a Patriot. I requested the Range locate one that I can test fire.

I haven't found a price for them as yet. If anyone can give me a "ball park" figure I'd really appreciate it.

New York City has one the most annoying Firearms Laws : One purchase every 3 months. It's actually more like 4 - 5 months after the paperwork is mailed back and forth. I won't let this discourage me though.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
hands-on

I live in Stirling, NJ, that's I-78/Exit 40 to you locals. It's about 25 minutes west of Newark Airport. I'd be happy to let you see/shoot my stainless Patriot Expert. It's completely "stock" and shoots like a dream.

Larry

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're not that far from me I'm in New York City. Thank you for the offer maybe we can arrange to follow through after the holiday. I'd appreciate it. Do you have the Blue or Stainless model?

May You And Your Family Have A Happy Thanksgiving! Stay Safe!

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Just a thought

If you are considering the Defender, wait a while and see what the new CCO type pistol that Bob has indicated will be coming out in the very near future..

Defender type and size frame and commander size slide and bbl..
Many feel this is the optimal configuration for carry and reliability in a 1911 style gun.

Check out the current thread for further details.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I was LUCKY because I am a retired Officer I paid a one time fee of $75.00 for finger prints. I won't be charged for renewals. I was an Officer from more than 25 years and I've survived several shootings On and Off Duty.

I don't think it fair the way the City is so Tight Fisted with Permits for Law Abiding Citizens! It's EXTREMELY UNREASONABLE for a City the size of New York to be so Anti-Gun.

The Application Process and Typyes Of Licenses are as follows:
You MUST APPEAR IN PERSON if you decide to apply for a license.The Costs :

1) Fingerprint Fee : $99.00 (New Rate as of July 2003))

2) Application Fee : $255.00

Payment must be in the form of 2 Postal Money Orders made payable to the New York City Police Department. There are no other fees.

Typyes Of Licenses :

1) Premises License : Issued for your Residence or Business. This is a RESTRICTED Type of license. Licensee may possess a handgun at the special location listed on the front of the license. Thia license permits transporting an unloaded handgun directly to and from a authorized small arms range/shooting club. in a secured locked container. Ammunition must be carried separately.

2) Carry Business License : Valid for business Name, Address, and Firearm(s) listed on the front of the license.. It's not transfeable to any other Person, Business, Occupation or Address, without the written approval of the Commanding Officer of the License Division.

3) Limited Carry Business License : is a Restricted License. The Licensee may only carry the firearm indicated on the license in accordance with the specific limitations thereon. At all other times the weapon may be possessed only within the confines of the business listed on the front of the license.

4) Special Carry License : Is valid for the Busines Name Address and Firearm(s) listed on the front of this licenseonly while the licensee has in his possesion his valis County License ussed accordingly to the Provisions of Article 400 of the N.Y.S. Penal Law. Upon revocation, Suspension, or Cancellation of the Basic License, the Special License is surrendered Void and must be immediately returned to the License Division.

5) Restricted Carry License (Security Guards, Etc.) : Applications for this type of License must be made with the Documentation provided by the Company's "Gun Custodian." It's issued only for the firearm listed on the license. The firearm may be carried only while the Licensee is Actively Engaged in Employment. All other times the Firearms must be stored in a locked container at either the Address on the License or at the Employee's Legal Residence(Within the State Of New York).

** For Information Concerning Firearms Licenses, Gunsmith License, Gun Custodian, Dealers In Firearms you may contact the License Division : 646-610-5936.

*Licenses are renewed every 3 years on the date of the holders DOB.
Renewal Fee $255.00

**New York City Carry License is VALID throughout New York State And in New York City.

New York State Carry Permit is Valid throughout New York State unless specified. IT IS NOT VALID IN NEW YORK CITY.

A CCW owning more than 5 handguns MUST show proof of ownership for a safe. A photo with the safe closed and open must be submitted to the License Division with a copy of the Bill Of Sale.

I make it my business to encourage as many people as I can to shoot. I give safety classes and shooting instruction at no charge. This helps the shooter defray some of the costs and encourages folks to pursue a license even if it's a Premises/Target Permit --- At least they have some form of defense. I've managed to help 5 new licensees who received their Target/Premises Permit convert it to a CCW. It's a slow process but can be done!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts