1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I know there must be alot of opinions on this one...I want to get into competition shooting pistols...which 1911 model, maker, length etc..would you all say would be most acceptable in the most competitions ?...I want to try many games, and would need a gun that would be good for all or most, seeing how I do not know yet on which game or two I will settle with....I'm thinking around 700 bucks off the shelf 1911...Thanks for any advice...also, I already reload for rifles and pistols , so thats not an issue.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well thats a very big question.

The problem is that lets say you want to go shoot IDPA. All 45's go into the CDP class, so you will be there with a "off the shelf" 1911 against $4000 customs and $2000 Wilson's. Can you compete? Sure, but at a big disadvantage.
If you go shoot IPSC same type of problem exists. You'll be stuck in the Limited 10, against $4000 race guns again.

Unless you want to go with a 1911 that is not in 45acp, or want to spend a bit more then $700 your not going to be happy I don't think. If you went with a 9mm 1911 and wanted to shoot IPSC or IDPA you would be better off.

Might want to think of going with a Browning Hi-Power, for shooting games off the shelf you'd be alot more competitive because of the box that they put the 1911 in 45 in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was also wondering, maybe not a 1911 for the games...I'm just not familiar enough with them all.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm just getting started myself. I'm told that there are a bunch of people having fun with $800 Springer Loaded and S&W 1911s. I have zero clue how competitive they are. I'm planning to use high-buck PC1911 and expect to suck as a competitor for at least the first year.

You could get off cheap with a 9mm M&P and play in the SSP class. It's not a 1911 but you're only looking at ~$450-550 for the pistol with 2 mags (3 w/the carry kit) plus you get 2 more free by mail and a $50 rebate. That's $500 for a reasonably competitive pistol with 4 magazines, plus $60 for a good Comp-Tac belt holster, $50 for a pair of mag pouches and you're good to go with money left over for ammo.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
seiko;1710563 The problem is that lets say you want to go shoot IDPA. All 45's go into the CDP class said:
Simply not true. The guy yanking the trigger is a lot more important than the gun. A $500 Milspec or a Kimber custom can be very competitive against any $4k pistol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just found the M&P 40, with a video along with it at smith and wesson site, thats a pretty slick gun, I like all those safety and other features too, several grips come with it..etc...I'm gonna keep that one in mind for sure..I agree with eljay too, I believe any good quality gun can compete with higher dollar ones...I seen it first hand too often in other competitions..especially when the shooter handloads and gets to know his firearm inside and out and what makes it sing.

·
Registered
432 Posts
competition Ready 1911's?

Where to begin? I'm partial to Springfield and have several. Also have a couple of Kimbers, a Colt, a Wilson, & a Les Baer all in the 1911 configuration.

Depends on what kind of competitions you're interested in. In IDPA, everything is shot as 'minor'', so there's no advatage to shooting anything other than 9mm unless you just want trigger time and expense blasting with .45ACP. 1911 in .45 acp gets you into CDP category. All other calibers in 1911 fall into ESP. All score minor.

In IPSC/USPSA, there is a distinct advantage to making 'major', so you need to be at least .40S&W. There are now also two categories you can shoot the conventional 1911 in ; Ltd10 and single stack.

Personally (knowing what I know now), for competetive purposes I'd look seriously at an STI Trojan 5". It has everything I'd want for a competition gun save the ambi safety, and that can be ordered as an option. Basic MSRP is $1024, but can be had from Dawson Precision for $925 plus shipping and FFL transfer fee. Available in 9mm, .38 super, .40S&W, or .45acp. If all you want is a .45ACP, then look at the STI Spartan; Dawson lists it for $594.

STI builds a quality product. In USPSA competitions, STI has captured something on the order of 80% of the market in their 2011 series, and I wouldn't expect any less quality in their other product lines, including their various 1911s. I've just started shooting the STI Edges in .40S&W - what a gun!

Go to: www.competitionshooters.com for the Dawson web page and more information on STI's they stock.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've been shooting uspsa for almost two years and I've used a (used to be) bone stock kimber classic custom almost exclusively. I have held my own against the expensive guns. I've added a few things over time but it is still essentially a kimber classic custom. Using a $3000 SV means nothing if you are a d class shooter other than that you are a d class shooter with a cool gun.

I'm not saying you should go buy a kimber but I am saying that you can get by with a "standard" gun. The big things that I have added that I really appreciate are a fiber optic front sight and a S&A magwell.

Sti trojan is a great choice. The spartan is a great choice too but if you put them side by side the trojan is of much higher quality.

·
Registered
85 Posts
USPSA has Single Stack Division (provisional before, full division this year). The gear is limited to carry-type gear (more like USPSA Production Division than Limited or Open or Ltd 10), so a $25 kydex holster is just fine. And, as they say, its the Indian, not the arrow, so hand a cheap (but reliable) gun to a top shooter, and he or she will whip most of us.

USPSA Production does not recognize power (as long as it makes MINOR), so while an M&P would fit best in Production, a .40 would be at a disadvantage to all the 9mm in the division. If you reload your own, then the 40 could be loaded well under major power.

For a budget 1911 starter, +1 on an STI Spartan. IDPA CDP, USPSA SS or Lim10 (depending on mags and gear), and Steel.

Lee

·
Registered
290 Posts
just use whatever you have and go shoot a match. try it out to see if you'll like the sport or not. if you end up liking it, there are a ton of people at the matches that will point you in the right direction. if you end up not liking it, at least you didn't spend funds you could have spent on other stuff.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Depends on what kind of competitions you're interested in. In IDPA, everything is shot as 'minor'', so there's no advatage to shooting anything other than 9mm unless you just want trigger time and expense blasting with .45ACP. 1911 in .45 acp gets you into CDP category. All other calibers in 1911 fall into ESP. All score minor.
[/QUOTE ]

CDP 165000
ESP 125000
SSP 125000
ESR 165000
SSR 125000
Page 28 lists the power floor requirement for each division

·
Registered
100 Posts
eljay45 said:
Simply not true. The guy yanking the trigger is a lot more important than the gun. A $500 Milspec or a Kimber custom can be very competitive against any $4k pistol.
Well I agree the guy pulling the trigger is more important then the gun. But at some point equipment plays a part. If nothing else in reliability.

The 45 class aka CDP is stupid. But thats a matter for another thread.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
competition gear

Let's say we buy you a $30,000 set of golf clubs; will you win?

Or, since this is the 1911 Forum, let's say we buy you a $10,000 Infinity; will you win?

Hell, doesn't matter what reliable gun you use; will you win?

Maybe-better question; Do you care?

I do, but I go shootin' for fun.

Most highly recommend a 5" steel 1911, can be 9x19 (for reduced recoil, and cheaper ammo costs) or 45 ACP, from S&W (my personally recommended first choice), Springfield Armory (I own three of this brand), or Kimber.
An under-$1,000 model.
Will 'fit' somewhere, regardless of chosen game.
Some inexpensive (Fobus, Uncle Mikes) gear to start, and go find out how much fun it is, how your gun-handling skills WILL BE enhanced, and hang with many like-minded folks.

But winning?

A33102

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I've been shooting 1911's for 40 years. I was an LEO instructor/rangemaster for 10 years. I won't tell you what I think about organized sports. Several times I was invited to join in the competitions, but found most of then unrealistic and even arrogant. Non-real life to say the least!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alot of good advice, ...Husker reminded me of something very important I forgot about, the people....A few years ago, I got a nice skeet and trap gun, shot here for a couple years, my own setup laid out, and figured I would go to some ranges and shoot with others...That lasted about an hour, I get there and every ones head is so far up thier ass they forgot other humans were around...But on the other hand, the cowboy shooters and BPCR shooters are the friendliest people I ever met...I need to go to a few matches and see just how these folks act in these matches before I buy anything..no point and going to a range and competing if yur not going to smell the roses along the way, it aint all about winning, the ride is the most important, winning is just frosting on the cake.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I've been shooting 1911's for 40 years. I was an LEO instructor/rangemaster for 10 years. I won't tell you what I think about organized sports. Several times I was invited to join in the competitions, but found most of then unrealistic and even arrogant. Non-real life to say the least!

Yep, that's why they are called gun GAMES.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Well I agree the guy pulling the trigger is more important then the gun. But at some point equipment plays a part. If nothing else in reliability.

Maybe, however you do not have to spend 2K+ to get a reliable gun that lasts.

It's the shooter. I can't tell you how many guys show up at the range with their brand new high dollar blaster and they still shoot like crap.

You want to be good at the game? Play and practice. The best place to spend money to improve your shooting is a reloader.

·
Registered
21,980 Posts
just found the M&P 40, with a video along with it at smith and wesson site, .
Not a bad gun, I have one at the gunsmith for fibre optic sights and a trigger job. But I recommend that if you get a non-1911, it should be a 9mm. Ammunition cost is less and it kicks less. Of course if you handload, a .40 can be made equal if not better.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Guys I think you were missing my point.
If a guy is just starting in action shooting a 1911 in 45 is not the way to go.
A $700 1911 is at a disadvantage. Lets just look at the big 2 Kimber and Springfield. Can you even buy a Kimber for under $700? Springfield your looking at a milspec for that price.

However if you went with a Hi-power, glock,etc. You get in the production or stock categories. Your going to save a ton of money on holsters mag carries, mags, sights, blah blah blah. Youll be more competitive, in the sence that you cant be beat by equipment.

Yes it still has alot to do with the shooter, and practice practice practice. Give Brian Enos a stock springfield and he'd smoke me shooting my open gun, but give Joe down the street a stock Kimber and me my L10 gun, Ill smoke him all day long just in mag changes, never mind quicker sights, better trigger.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts