1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Guns and Ammo special edition currently on the shelves.
I really like this one. Great articles by Denis Prisbrey, Duane Thomas and Bob Campbell. Greg Rodriquez, Jeremy Clough and Rober Kolesar are new to me (though probably long established writers) and seem to be adept bullseye shooters. Their results make me a bit green with envy. Kolesar makes a visit to the colt factory and has an informative article on current status. He may have sold me on a new series 70

Several articles treat of the WWI and the Current "Black" military model and inspired me to go out in the rain with mine today. The wierdnes of the grips are from a coat of paste wax I used to defy the weather.

Forgetting to hold up enough front sight, I hit a bit below point of aim but the trigger pull which is slightly ligher than on the guns featured in this magazine helped to overcome my often poor trigger control. My RCBS spring guage gives it 3.5 pounds or a couple of ounces over.
I did a bit better with my sight picture on this one:

Attachments

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
They were great articles, and it was good to see Colt getting some press for the first time in ages. I was really getting sick of 1911-specific magazines chock full of nothing but Kimbers and Ed Browns.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
They were great articles, and it was good to see Colt getting some press for the first time in ages. I was really getting sick of 1911-specific magazines chock full of nothing but Kimbers and Ed Browns.
I was shocked when I saw so much attention given to Colts. Pleasantly shocked, but shocked nonetheless. It is good to see. I remember when whole magazines were devoted to Colt firearms in the 80's.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Paste wax on grips.... now I've seen it all....:biglaugh:

NAA.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
When my WWI repro was new I shot 7 rounds slow fire with one hand at 15 yards. Trouble is I shot 4 rounds, and was bothered by a good friend and put some lotion on my hands while I was talking to him. Then shot three more rounds. I could feel the gun shifting in my hand. There is a reason not to have a smooth front and back, even with checkered grips. The ammo was 230gr WWB from Wally World by the way.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Don't know where I've had my head stuck, but that magazine is what turned me on to the fact that Colt was producing the retro Series 70 guns. I've been trying to figure how to find and afford one ever since. Great Magazine.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the factory visit reveals that they are not using MIM parts. this is something I've had mixed reports on. My hope is that with optimum lockwork, my unmodified 3.5 pound trgger pull will turn out to be a long -lasting setup. I suspect these corbona blued, limited edition pistols are largelly ending up as safe queens but mine is too good a shooter for that role.
They've done something right on the originaal WWI replicas. The bushing spins freely and takes down without a wrench but shows very god accuracy.

Idaho leather company.
I'm not Bruce Willis fst with it but its a neat looking rig anyway

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts