1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at a pawnshop this morning and found what I believe to be a WWII Colt 1911A1. Only could spend just a minute looking at it before I had to go, so couldn't look at it thoroughly. This is what I quickly observed:

Right side of frame has serial #: 1,711,xxx (1944?), US Property, and M1911A1, but ordnance cannon buffed almost completely out.

GHD (slightly buffed) and P proofs on left side of frame.

Colt legend on left side of slide(but didn't have time to write down all the wording/markings)

Vertically striated mainspring housing, not serrated

Brown plastic grips, but left panel slightly different color than right panel.

A few things bother me though:
It looks like it has been re-blued, especially with the ordnance cannons buffed out and the GHD slightly buffed. I am a WWII small arms collector of a few years, but have no experience with 1911's (I mostly collect German, Japanese, British). To me, this just didnt "look" right.

The mismatched grip colors.

The pawn shop wants $899 for it, but as I was going out the door, the proprietor said he would take $700 and tax.

Based on what little I have told you, what is it worth?

If need be, I can go back when I have more time to write down specific markings, look at parts (narrow, serrated, etc.), and so on.:confused:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Meece,
Welcome to the forum.

you are right it should be parkerized. Like the example below.

here is a link to a disassembled 1944, shows all the small parts and barrel. http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/1911/1944 Colt M1911A1.htm

If all is correct it should mostly valued by how good the refinish is and if all correct parts.

A good Colt with all the original parts can run between 600-900, maybe higher depending on where you are at. If original finish too, make it closer to 1300.00 or more.
Regards,
Ty

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I couldnt stand it, so I went back...

:( and looked at it at length. It is like the pics in the link you sent on a 1944 Colt, except it was just buffed out too much and commercially reblued:

The rampant horse was buffed completely out of the slide except for its feet.
The bottom 1/3 of the Inspector's initials ("GHD") was buffed out completely, though you could easily tell it said "GHD".
The "VP" in a triangle (verified proof mark? I'm still learning on these 1911A1's) is 1/2 buffed out on the left side of the mark. The ordnance cannon is completely gone except the bottom 1/4 of the circle.
The right grip did have wide screw holes, but the left did not.

It DID have: "P" in front of rear sight; Checkered wide hammer, stamped short trigger, and slide release; serrated front sight blade; serrated mainspring housing; and "u" stamp under the slide. Too bad, eh?

I dont imagine that there is any way to save this one (?). Guess i need to pass on this one for $700, right? Thanks for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts