1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not a FREE rifle... but what rifle do you think best "compliments" a 1911, both historically and philosophically? Just wondering
ACP

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think either the M1A1 or any of the AR Variants go god with the 1911 design.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the Steyr Scout rifle is the best philosophical fit... primarily because Col. Jeff Cooper had so much to do with the effective use and popular adoption of the 1911 pistol... and it was Cooper who developed and refined the Scout rifle concept. You can have a custom gunsmith build you a Scout, but perhaps a better value for money would be the "factory" production model from Steyr. It is superb... truly a gun to be proud to own. Details on the Steyr Scout can be found on Gunsmoke Guns' newly redesigned web site's "Resources" section:
www.gunsmokeguns.com/resources.html

Gunsmoke sells more Steyr Scouts than any other dealer in the USA and they have a lot of experience doing trigger jobs (if you're want the ultimate "crisp break").

I own several Steyr Scouts and like them so much I bought the .308 for routine shooting and the .376 for plains-game hunting in Africa. (See the Safari section of the Gunsmoke Guns web site if you want a preview of my next big adventure.)

Needless to say, I pair my 1911 with my Scout whenever I'm in the field.

·
Registered
431 Posts
M1 Garand
Springfield 1903

------------------
"No dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some OTHER dumb bastard die for HIS country!"
General George S. Patton Jr.

·
Registered
963 Posts
AR15 or FN FAL.

------------------
A man with a watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches isn't so sure

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have to agree with TrophyShop. I was going to put the Garand on the top of the list, although the 1903A3 is probably the best choice technically. But it seems nice to pair the auto with the auto.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
'03 Springfield
'17 Enfield
M1 Garand
BAR
M1A (M14)

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RikWriter, Thanks for your input, and I apologize for my poor manners in the Colt forum last week. I was having an especially bad day. Best, ACP.

·
Registered
963 Posts
No big deal, ACP...I try not to take anything I read on the internet personally.

------------------
A man with a watch knows what time it is; a man with two watches isn't so sure

·
Registered
605 Posts
1911 goes with M1 Garand.

Here are some others IMHO:

S&W 1917 with Springfield 03
Beretta 92F with AR rifles.
Colt SAA with Winchester 94
Glock with Styre AUG
Browning HP with FN FAL???
H&K P7 with G11??
Makarov with AK

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I like the modularity of the AR, reminds me a lot of the 1911 in it's versatility.

Apart from the AR series, I have found that the best complimentary rifle for the 1911 in my case has been my Marlin Camp 45.

It uses the same mags as my 1911's, and is a nice, reliable carbine with decent accuracy.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you had to have a complementing rifle it depends on why. I would say a Thompson SMG due to the ammo issue. However it is always hard to pass up a new AR!

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

1 - 19 of 19 Posts