1911Forum banner
141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
And many of us old dinosaurs who've been carrying hammer down on a live round (the way JMB intended!) for over 40yrs , have been practicing cocking the hammer when we draw.
Consider instead, a thumb break holster. Then you can carry properly, and no worries about the hammer dropping.

Or I'd just switch to a Glock. When a bullet zings within inches of your head, that adrenaline dump turns your reflex's into fumbles. Especially if you see the threat closing, and you're way, waaay behind now.

Even the weak, stress free, jitters, that I get at the beginning of a safe USPSA stage, prevent me from plating games with the hammer. Real stress? It would be a nightmare.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Consider instead, a thumb break holster. Then you can carry properly, and no worries about the hammer dropping.

Or I'd just switch to a Glock. When a bullet zings within inches of your head, that adrenaline dump turns your reflex's into fumbles. Especially if you see the threat closing, and you're way, waaay behind now.

Even the weak, stress free, jitters, that I get at the beginning of a safe USPSA stage, prevent me from plating games with the hammer. Real stress? It would be a nightmare.
Consider stuffing your worthless opinion.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Consider stuffing your worthless opinion.
Forgot that old guys only carry to the BBQ.
I don’t understand the sense in purposely lowering the hammer on a live round using a 1911. Carrying fully cocked with the thumb safety engaged seems like a far better, safer, faster arrangement. A thumb snap is not a bad idea and is readily disengaged when you naturally grasp the pistol in the holster. I believe Zerodefect has a completely valid opinion. mkk4, you may have a different opinion and that is fine, but why the rudeness?

One other thing…where can I get the crystal ball or Ouija board that lets me read the minds of John Browning, Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith, etc?

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
I don’t understand the sense in purposely lowering the hammer on a live round using a 1911. Carrying fully cocked with the thumb safety engaged seems like a far better, safer, faster arrangement.
It's called a lack of understanding and confidence in Condition-1 carry.

Reactions: DR505

·
Registered
89 Posts
When asked why the 100 round course of fire at an 8 inch circle at 10 yards, his reply was that this was the course of fire used for Nevada security guards in order to carry a duty weapon. Both the retired Marine and I just shook our heads and walked away.

I certainly will not ever part with another dime for this guy. The sad thing is that he offers a "membership" for close to $600/year and gives monthly training classes in Level I-III Defensive Handgun, CQB Rifle, CQB Shotgun, Tactical Response Team, etc. ad nauseam. Some of the people in class were members.
So he has an Ongoing Scam... I'll bet if you pay that $600 a year you'll have No Problem renewing your CCW. I saw the same stuff start here in the Commonwealth when the Muslim was in Office. CCW Classes popped up like Carnival Tents

·
Registered
89 Posts
I feel the exact same way millimeter55. Of course, full disclosure, I did rename the somewhat-rusted 55 gallon burn barrel that I have up at my cottage the, "Greta Thunberg Memorial Burn Barrel." Even painted her name on the side of that baby------I figured that Greta deserved that honor! ;)
I just Installed a New "Greta Thunberg" Septic Holding System.:coffee:

·
Registered
89 Posts
The 1911 was the first auto pistol I ever shot.
All controls feel second nature to me.
Other pistols have me fumbling around with, as I don’t use them much, and don’t care for them.

if I was in a bind, the 1911 is my best bet.
regardless of other’s opinions.

if I grew up in a different time, I am sure I would feel differently.

must say, I never had a case of glock leg though!
My First time shooting a Pistol was My Uncle Jimmy's 1911A1 he brought Back from Vietnam. He passed away in 97 and My Aunt found his Old .45 wrapped up in a Kitchen Towel in his Footlocker. I have that Pistol in my Safe. I take it out once in a while and shoot it in Honor of the Man responsible for my 1911 Addiction... Thanks Uncle Jimmy.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If a person whether LEO or civilian doesn't train on a regular basis then I can see where they'd forget to do many things. I know several deputies that make it to the range a week before qualification twice a year. Outside of that they don't train at all.

I can also see where the LEO will pull their pistol at the same time they yell 'Taser'. Training is the key and far too many don't train.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've probably owned and worked on more 1911s than you'll ever see.
Neat… I don’t care.

Your appeal to authority falls on deaf ears. State your case and make your argument but don’t expect your snide comments to impress anyone.

if you can’t support your argument with currently relevant information than maybe your experience is obsolete. The Garand was awesome in WWII. It’s obsolete.

I’m not accusing… I’m interrogating. You’ve made claims. Now it’s time to back them up.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
I've probably owned and worked on more 1911s than you'll ever see.
Nothing personal meant by my comment. Most 1911 owners have never received modern training w/ them and it is obvious from their comments.

I have owned a Porsche for a long time. Owning it does not mean I know how to properly operate it on a race-track.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
If a person whether LEO or civilian doesn't train on a regular basis then I can see where they'd forget to do many things. I know several deputies that make it to the range a week before qualification twice a year. Outside of that they don't train at all.

I can also see where the LEO will pull their pistol at the same time they yell 'Taser'. Training is the key and far too many don't train.
You are right, but people who carry 1911s also need to get properly trained w/ it. And all people who carry a weapon for a living or because they choose to would benefit both outside training and regular, personal training. People would also benefit from spending less on bling and more on training.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I think there's a difference between being afraid of the pistol you carry (in a loaded condition) and being respectful of it. I converted from Beretta DA/SA a couple of years ago when the 1911/2011 bug bit me. Now, all I shoot and carry is a 2011. Regardless of whether it's concealed carry, or I'm shooting a match, the pistol is always carried with a round chambered, hammer cocked, safety on. I feel completely safe knowing that I've got to grip the pistol firmly to defeat the grip safety, then flick the safety down, then pull the trigger for the pistol to fire. I make my own kydex AIWB holsters, so I've also molded a small ledge in them that fits up under the safety lever in the "ON" position for one more layer of safety. I have no trepidation carrying in condition one.

But for those who are afraid of condition one, or their striker-fired pistol with a round chambered and a precocked striker, I highly recommend a DA/SA pistol. Most of them have a decocker, making it easy to chamber a round, then safely decock the hammer. In that condition, it takes a long, deliberate pull of the DA trigger to fire the pistol. I think a good, stiff DA trigger is as close to carrying without a round chambered as you can get for carrying a concealed pistol that you feel completely safe carrying.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Nothing personal meant by my comment. Most 1911 owners have never received modern training w/ them and it is obvious from their comments.

I have owned a Porsche for a long time. Owning it does not mean I know how to properly operate it on a race-track.
Your snide comments were nothing but personal.

And my preference for this mode of carry has nothing to do with fear or not understanding the mechanical principles of the 1911 action either.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Your snide comments were nothing but personal.

And my preference for this mode of carry has nothing to do with fear or not understanding the mechanical principles of the 1911 action either.
Sorry, was not referring to you, I was talking about people in-general who carry in Condition-2 or -3.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts